A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

XP vs Creative modem drivers

Postby jpChris » Mon Aug 19, 2002 9:55 pm

Hi,

I have a Creative Modem Blaster V92, and I can't get Win XP Pro to run with the Creative drivers. The only drivers that will work are the generic XP drivers.

I can install the Creative drivers - no problem. When I do a modem query, everything is like it's supposed to be and shows "No Conflicts". However, when I try to dial out, it just doesn't work; yet the XP generic drivers do.

I've switched slots, uninstalled, reinstalled, safe mode uninstall, safe mode reinstall, exchanged the card and re-did all the above; dropped it, kicked it, taken a sledge hammer to it, took copious amounts of Prozac and Jack Daniels AND THE THING STILL WON'T WORK!!! Creative Labs is stumped, too.

Anybody have any ideas???
Sincerely,
jpChris
PRO Level 2

Postby XJan87 » Tue Aug 20, 2002 4:52 am

Are the Creative drivers designed for XP?
If the native XP drivers work, you really don't need Creative drivers, because all hardware modems are Hayes-compatible.
PROfessional Member

XP vs Creative Modem Drivers

Postby jpChris » Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:05 pm

Hi,

Yes, the Creative Modem Drivers are XP. However, my ISP is V92 compliant and the XP basic drivers are woefully inadequate (thank you, uncle Bill). I do not have any modem functions (modem on hold, internet calling, etc.) other than just the absolute basic, basic function.

Again, any ideas?

Sincerely,
jpChris
PRO Level 2

Postby spike777 » Thu Aug 22, 2002 4:01 am

1st. this may sound silly but are you sure it wasnt dialing out silently?
A lot of the creative drivers weve installed dont intergrate the modem wave untill after the 1st connect / disconnect has been run.

2nd You maybe able to install the other "enhanced features" separtely, since its not in the base driver pack.

Load the msft/xp version of the modem drivers. Once thats done & it works, then pop the creative cd in, stop the autorun.
Browse to the file location & copy to your hd, edit out the modem driver .inf, then install only that portion, not the driver portion.
PRO Level 5

Postby jpChris » Fri Aug 23, 2002 2:29 am

Hi,

No. It wasn't silently doing anything other than silently not doing anything.

I'm not sure I know what you mean by installing the "goodies" and not the driver. The .inf file has all the stuff in it I want. How do I NOT install the driver???

Sincerely,
Chris
PRO Level 2

Postby nwflyboy » Sun Aug 25, 2002 2:08 pm

Hi jpChris,

I also ran into the problems you are describing. I so rarely used a modem in the US (cable providers were abundant), but I did purchase the Modem Blaster V.92 just prior to moving overseas to replace my Creative 56K V.90.
I solved it by moving the modem to another PCI slot after consulting my motherboard manual. The slot it was in shared an interrupt with my onboard lan. I know interrupts aren't supposed to matter anymore since WXP handles them virtually (modem is assigned IRQ19 right now), but it did allow it to work.
Tinkering around as usual, I found though that with the Creative software drivers installed the connect rates were ALWAYS slower by a few baud than if I removed the drivers and let WXP use its default ones. So I removed Creative's and let WXP install the default driver; WXP reports it as a Generic 56K HCF Data Fax Modem.
Don't know if that info helped; just wanted to share my experiences with you.
PRO New Member

Postby spike777 » Thu Aug 29, 2002 4:20 am

The modem only needs the generic drivers.The xp drivers are from the same folks who wrote the "creative" drivers. All the "softmodems" Hayes" use the same rockwell//motorola/hayes chipset devloped modems.
If you dont like the default modem settings from xp, you can modify them with strings & tweaks.

What I meant by goodies was the items you mentiond like "internet calling". That has nothing to do with the modem drivers
All those features & more are available through all kinds of freeware/shareware/payware.
PRO Level 5

Return to Guides