A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Failed attempt to set up Dual Boot system

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Re: Failed attempt to set up Dual Boot system

Postby yeshuas » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:47 pm

It worked fine, but I forgot to tell you to see what files and or folders are on that recovery partition, to help determine whether it can be deleted and used safely
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby EllisF » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:14 am

I want to thank you for your time and effort. I'm mulling over my options.

My hope was to regain access to the Recovery partition and restore the boot record to its original state. I thought that was what DBP was supposed to do, but it doesn't seem to be any help in this case.

I don't see what deleting the Recovery partition will accomplish, unless you think that is what originally caused this problem. Oh, and I don't see any way to access the files on the Recovery partition -- it doesn't show up in Windows Explorer and unless Disk Management provides a way to view the files, I'm at a loss.

This just isn't my week/month for computers. I ordered a new PSU and when I installed it...it didn't work. Dead out of the box. I reinstalled the old PSU and things are back to normal -- well, abnormal normal.

If DBP doesn't help, is there another boot repair tool that might?
PRO Level 2

Postby yeshuas » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:09 am

The recovery partition is part of the problem because it is not lettered. When you tried to look at the files and folders, did you still have the hidden files and folders option checked and the hide operating system files unchecked?
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby EllisF » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:07 am

Yes, for the time being I've left the folder/file options to show everything.

I will contact technical support (for the computer) and see if they can tell me anything about the Recovery partition. Maybe they can provide me with a way to delete it and then recreate it (giving it a letter).

Incidentally, I used DBP to look at my other computer and I was reassured to see it providing actual information. I can see that an unidentified (no letter) partition could cause a problem. In the end, I expect I'll have to just delete it and proceed from there.

I'll let you know what the tech support people say about the Recovery partition (I'm not actually expecting any useful information from them, since their knowledge seems pretty limited, but it's worth a try.
PRO Level 2

Postby EllisF » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:39 am

I'm back. I spoke with technical support and my suspicion is true -- the Recovery partition is lost and there is no way to recreate. So, I went ahead and deleted the partition and now I have a single partition with XP Pro installed.

However, the original boot problem still exists and DBP doesn't recognize the existence of any OS on this HDD. Unless you have another suggestion, I'm going to just go ahead and reformat the hard drive and try again. I simply don't see any way of fixing the current situation.
PRO Level 2

Postby yeshuas » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:51 am

Ok start DBP and ignore the prompt about not having backed up etc.

Then click on Diagnostics and run it to see if you get anything on the Operating system tab.

If you do click on each one and pay attention to where it says the OS is located, you should be able to tell which if any is a viable OS, and delete the one that is not by clicking on it and deleting it
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby EllisF » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:43 am

Diagnostics? Nothing there. That what has really confused me from the beginning with this problem -- DBP doesn't recognize that there is an operating system installed on this computer. Every option shows nothing -- with one exception. Under tools, the Legacy Editor shows this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Otherwise, every section of DBP is empty. Running diagnostics doesn't appear to do anything -- after all, DBP doesn't think there is an OS on which to run diagnostics.

I don't know what the Legacy Editor is or the significance of what it shows, except there appear to be two XPs.
PRO Level 2

Postby yeshuas » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:53 pm

Legacy editor is simply a boot.ini editor

You can remove the 2nd line in the boot.ini that refers to the other XP and it should also remove the boot menu that you are getting at boot time.

remove the 2nd line so your boot.ini looks like this

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby EllisF » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:52 am

I deleted the second line in the Legacy Editor, and the second XP on the Boot Select screen did disappear. However, it remains to be seen if this will solve the overall problem. I still intend to set up a dual boot system with XP and Windows 7. Right now, DBP doesn't recognize the existence of any OS on this computer. I'm not at all sure what will happen when I try to install the second OS. I'll give it a try and let you know.

Now, it turns out that I have another problem on my older computer -- the one with XP Home and Vista Business. When I set up the dual boot system everything seemed to go smoothly. When I reached the boot select screen I opted for Vista and set about completing the installation and bring it up to date with SP1 and SP2 and other necessary updates. The main use for this computer is as a backup -- it's is ironic in the era of the Internet that so many companies offer support online, but if one is having computer problems it may not be possible to connect.

Anyway, I finally went back and logged on to XP Home and when I reached the desktop I got this error message:

Winlogon.exe has experienced a problem and needed to close.

When I shut XP down, either to OFF or Restart, I get the BSoD and the following error message:

STOP: c000021a {fatal system error}

The Windows logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x80000003 (0x00000000 0x00000000)

The system has been shut down.

The system, that is Windows, has been shut down, but the computer must be turned off manually.

XP Home works normally, but obviously something is wrong if I'm getting error messages both beginning and ending a session.

Fortunately, DBP does recognize both OSs and there is information available concerning each. Of course, I still don't know anything about the MBR or what correct entries look like. Neither do I know if it is a problem there that is causing the difficulties or if the problem lies elsewhere.

Any ideas? I'll be glad to copy and paste the DBP information if that will help.

I appreciate the time you've spent helping me.
PRO Level 2

Postby yeshuas » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:53 pm

Have updated your bios, and all your other drivers?
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

PreviousNext

Return to Windows Boot Problems