A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

windows 8 preinstalled and dual boot with windows 7

Re: windows 8 preinstalled and dual boot with windows 7

Postby shreader » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:53 am

From the laptops I bought last year they did not include a Recovery disk, one has to create their own using the built-in software the manufacturer supplies. Or, as my friend did he ordered (paid for one) from Toshiba after his Hdd went bad (he lives in a very humid climate).

It would probably be a good idea for you to check your manufacturer's warranty, as partitioning the disk may void it :no
Software Director

Postby diabloss74 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:13 am

ok so what ur saying is first i should create a recovery disk of my windows 8 installation and then go ahead with what ever i want to do without worrying too much yes?

So i can just reinstall and fix after any mess up?.

if i shrink my windows 8 partition and create another partition for windows 7 i still don't really get how dualboot pro can help me with all after i install my second partition and things are likely to go wrong
PRO Level 2

Postby diabloss74 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:38 am

I want to hear from someone who has been in the exact same position as me and who has successfully completed what i want to do

I want to hear from someone who has installed windows 7 ultimate as a second os on a dualboot with a preinstalled windows 8 pro.

Also perhaps someone who has used dualboot pro software to assist with this process successfully.

Someone who can help me to the fullest extent possible
PRO Level 2

Postby diabloss74 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:49 am

no more help or advice from anyone on this subject?
PRO Level 2

Postby shreader » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:23 am

diabloss74 wrote:I want to hear from someone who has been in the exact same position as me and who has successfully completed what i want to do

I want to hear from someone who has installed windows 7 ultimate as a second os on a dualboot with a preinstalled windows 8 pro.

Also perhaps someone who has used dualboot pro software to assist with this process successfully.

Someone who can help me to the fullest extent possible

You may have to wait awhile until a member w/ what you describe chimes in.
I can only offer advise from past experiences but none match exactly what you want.
Software Director

Postby diabloss74 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:21 am

thank you very much for trying to help with the best of ur ability
PRO Level 2

Postby diabloss74 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:32 am

is it a better idea to backup and uninstall my pre-installed windows 8 and replace it with windows 7 ultimate and the re-install windows 8 as a dual boot?
PRO Level 2

Postby yeshuas » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:23 am

diabloss74 wrote:is it a better idea to backup and uninstall my pre-installed windows 8 and replace it with windows 7 ultimate and the re-install windows 8 as a dual boot?

"Important note" doing any of this other than creating the media of course may void your warranty so just keep that in mind

What I would do first; is create the media for installation of your factory installation if you can do that, in other words there should be a way for you to create a recovery media disk or disks so you can re-install to factory.

Then I would try shrinking your HD's free space to create another partition to install Windows 7; this you would do in Disk Management, When you start to install Windows 7 just make sure you install to the newly created partiton and not the Windows 8 partition.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby diabloss74 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:06 am

And then?

Have you actually done this before or know any one who done it
PRO Level 2

Postby diabloss74 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:16 pm

It is said that as windows 8 boot loader is newer than the windows 7 bootloader so your last suggestion can seriously go wrong.

Should I?do I need to install dual boot pro on my Windows 8 system to avoid such problems?
PRO Level 2

PreviousNext

Return to General Tech Chat