A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

New MoBo

New MoBo

Postby Chippychap » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:28 am

Hi guys, am going to install a new uprated MoBo and just would like to confirm how I will do it, eeeeeeeeek.
The PC case has connectors at the front and I cannot get to the back of the usb sockets etc as cables seem to go through a bulkhead; Am I righ in thinking that I split the cables at connectors my side of the bulkhead instead of trying to get to the end connectors?
Thank you.
VEGETARIAN = AN OLD ABORIGINE WORD MEANING BAD HUNTER.
PRO Level 7

Re: New MoBo

Postby shreader » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:05 am

When I have installed a new MB I refer ro the case manual also for what connectors are for what.
I have never remooved the wire ends (plugs) but it is a PINA plugging them into the small system panel connector on the MB (I have fat fingers).

Sometimes the various wires say what they are for, on the plastic plug end.
You will need to plug most of them in, if you want the case switch, restart, hdd & power LEDs to work.

Is that wat you were asking :yesnod:
Software Director

Postby Chippychap » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:27 am

shreader wrote:When I have installed a new MB I refer ro the case manual also for what connectors are for what.
I have never remooved the wire ends (plugs) but it is a PINA plugging them into the small system panel connector on the MB (I have fat fingers).

Sometimes the various wires say what they are for, on the plastic plug end.
You will need to plug most of them in, if you want the case switch, restart, hdd & power LEDs to work.

Is that wat you were asking :yesnod:

Thank you yet again shreader
Instead of fully dismantling the case do the cables for the front panel break at my side of the bulkhead or do i have to plug in at each single socket.
It looks like they have block connectors which are at my side of the bulkhead.
shreader, now even I don't know what I am talking about :tapedshut:
I am a bit wussy and like to worry twice and DO once :embarrassed:
PRO Level 7

Postby shreader » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:00 pm

Smile & think fun, that works for me when doing these things.

The wires from the case front pnl. should go through the bulkhead to your side where the MB is positioned.
Different cases have different wire setups, some bundled together, most not.
1 wire to 1 plug, I never have split one as I generally use what is provided. Maybe run extra wires if you have extra external USB ports & not enough provided connectors to MoBo.

If you have a block connector you may be in luck if it'll fit into the (#*!&) system pnl connector on the MB.
-----------------------------

My case (not crazy about it) top pic.: Front panel cabling is what one would expect given the I/O ports and docking feature.
http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/therma ... index7.php

also look @ middle pic. pg6. shows the cabling from the front.
Software Director

Postby Chippychap » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:24 am

Please forgive the delay in replying.
Due to absolute ignorance I have installed Windows sooooooooooooooooooo many time from folder to folder and drive to drive.
Just to give you an idea of my buffoonery windows said it needed 7.8 Gb so I made a drive 8Gb big to install it in :silly: I learnt so quickly that my next partition was 16Gb DOH.
Anyway, so, hopefully the block connectors make the front connections much easier?
Thank you again guys
PRO Level 7

Postby shreader » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:50 pm

I think I was misinterpreting what you meant by block connectors.
I googled it & now I am thinking you were just referring to the MB system panel connector (name from my asus MB manual).

http://www.pcguide.com/byop/byop_OtherC ... itches.htm

Plugging the wires into that can be hard as some of them need to have the ± correct & they are close together. Tweezers can help guiding the wire plug into the MB pins.
Software Director

Postby Chippychap » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:24 am

Shreader, can I make a terrible confession which might make my question less stupid and more logical?
It's the PSU I wish to change. :bashhead
The wattage on the current, no pun intended, one is 450 and I have a bright shiny Antec 650 to plumb in.
So the block connectors, hopefully join my side to front panel side.
I don't think there is any hope for me. :embarrassed:
Was going to do a couple of diagrams and even a short video to remind me what should have a wire plugged into it.
Shreader, you should claim tax back as my carer but totally thank you.
PRO Level 7

Postby yeshuas » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:40 am

If I can just throw my two cents in here, the wires/connectors from the Power supply don't connect directly to the case, only to the motherboard, harddrives, in some instances the video card. the wires from the case connect to the motherboard, and there should be a diagram/schematic in the book that came with the motherboard, and sometimes the motherboard itself showing where the connections are. somtimes the motherboard comes with a Q-connector (it looks like a plastic block with pins coming out of it), that allows you to connect all the case wires to it and then it connects to the motherboard.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby Chippychap » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:18 am

yeshuas wrote:If I can just throw my two cents in here, the wires/connectors from the Power supply don't connect directly to the case, only to the motherboard, harddrives, in some instances the video card. the wires from the case connect to the motherboard, and there should be a diagram/schematic in the book that came with the motherboard, and sometimes the motherboard itself showing where the connections are. somtimes the motherboard comes with a Q-connector (it looks like a plastic block with pins coming out of it), that allows you to connect all the case wires to it and then it connects to the motherboard.

I'm lucky in that the old PSU is still connected.
I can video and draw diagrams of what has a wire hanging out of it.
Just re-read your post and that is a really good point which I had not thought about.
I am just frightened, hence forgetting what it is called.
Thank you for your help yeshuas and my sincere apologies to shreader for messing him about
PRO Level 7

Return to General Tech Chat