A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Trying to Dual Boot Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 8 Pro

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Re: Trying to Dual Boot Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 8 Pro

Postby jamesarcuri » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:39 pm

Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79
Intel Core I-7 3930K Hexa-Core
64gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 1600 ram
Galaxy GeForce GTX 680 2gb DDR5
2 OCZ Vertex 3 240gb Max Iops Raid 0 SATA 6Gb/s Internal (Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit)
1 Western Digital 600Gb 10000rpm Velociraptor on 3Gb/s SATA port Internal (Windows 8 Pro 64bit)

jim
PRO Level 2

Postby yeshuas » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:46 pm

Geez that is a killer system, wish I would have set the system in my signature up with raid, it is a better fit to test for the issue your having
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby jamesarcuri » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:36 pm

But I'm not sure what the issue is, like I said even if the recovery partition was not there you still can not letter the system partition, according to everything I have been able to find on Win 8 the hidden partitions on Win 8 cannot be lettered.

http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/UploadFile/6cde20/change-drive-letter-in-windows-8/

"You cannot change the Drive Letter if the drive is either a System Partition or Boot Partition."

Why can't we edit the boot files so both Windows 7 and Windows 8 will be available at boot when I turn on my computer. I am not talking about using drive letters to boot but the guid of both systems which are separate id's regardless of drive letters. I would do that myself but I do not know how to handle the boot editors in Win 7 or Win 8 which is what I repurchased Dualbootpro for.

This is a copy of Detailed boot information:

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device unknown
path \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {globalsettings}
default {current}
resumeobject {054f0ff0-cc46-11e1-a258-a6b28ed9a470}
displayorder {current}
toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
timeout 30

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {current}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows 7
locale en-US
inherit {bootloadersettings}
recoverysequence {054f0ff2-cc46-11e1-a258-a6b28ed9a470}
recoveryenabled Yes
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {054f0ff0-cc46-11e1-a258-a6b28ed9a470}
nx OptIn
usefirmwarepcisettings No

I'm pretty sure the first one is Windows 8 because it is identifying one of the Win 8 partitions! Does this help?

jim
PRO Level 2

Postby yeshuas » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:17 am

is probably something really simple

I'm betting it's because one is raid, the other 1 isn't, you have to change settings in the BIOS, from raid to AHCI to boot the other drive
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby jamesarcuri » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:02 am

Are you talking about breaking my raid drive or the drive that Win 8 is on which is already set to AHCI? Like I said before, I can boot to the Win 8 drive,

"The only way I can currently go from one system to the other is hit the F key that brings up the motherboard boot menu and then pick which I want to boot from. In this case for Windows 7 I have to choose either {Intel Volume 0} or {P2: WDC WD6000HLHX-01JJPV0} or for Windows 8 I have to choose {Windows Boot Manager (P2: WDC WD6000H.HX-01JJPV0)} Whichever system I choose to boot from becomes the dominant system until I refer back to the motherboard boot menu and choose the other operating system than that one will become dominant." quote from first post

(To select the boot device during system startup, press <F8> when ASUS Logo appears. To be clear this is the boot device selection system that I am talking about. This was taken from your Motherboard manual, I have to press F8 to get to the boot device selection during startup if I want to go that way with my Motherboard also.)

This is a list of three of the choices I have to boot from with the Bios boot menu after system startup:

{Windows Boot Manager (P2: WDC WD6000H.HX-01JJPV0)}

{Intel Volume 0}

{P2: WDC WD6000HLHX-01JJPV0}

but what I want to do is have the choice between Windows 7 and Windows 8 with a Dualbootpro menu.
PRO Level 2

Postby yeshuas » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:41 am

you mean you leave it set to AHCI to change back and forth, for the raid array, to the drive that has Windows 8 on it?
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby jamesarcuri » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:43 am

As viewed thru Windows 7 Disk Management:

Disk 0 = 2 Vertex 3 240gb Drives in Raid 0 (only shows as one volume but attached on the motherboard to 2 separate SATA 6Gb/s ports) is the Windows 7 Drive.

Disk 1 = 1 Western Digital 600gb in AHCI mode attached to 1 SATA 3Gb/s port and is the Windows 8 Drive.

I have explained this thoroughly and I don't understand your question. Can you please clarify!!!!!!!!!!!

Regardless, if you have more than one hard drive on a Motherboard you do not change the drive settings when you access the additional drive. What am I missing? You can have three different hard drives on one motherboard all with different settings ie IDE, Raid, AHCI etc and each drive can have a different operating system.
PRO Level 2

Postby yeshuas » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:52 am

First I am sorry, but I am dealing with a sinus infection at the very least and my head is all foggy, and it is hard to concentrate, much less express myself clearly, and trying to do it on a smart phone rather than from a PC.

I am trying to remember what I have read and seen with UEFI bios and dual booting Windows 8, and I was merely trying to suggest that maybe it had something to do with having a Raid array and a non raid setup both bootable.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby yeshuas » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:29 pm

I have loaded windows 8 on dozens of machines, as a stand alone operating system, alongside Windows Vista, and window 7, and haven't run into this issue 1 time.
I use dual boot Pro 2 change boot order, and boot wait times but then I haven't had to use dual boot pro to create a boot loader/manager, each subsequent OS picked up the previous OS, and added it to the bootloader/manager itself.

I found this article maybe it will help you.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2411464,00.asp

I know the programmers working on an issue having to do with Windows 8, and dual boot Pro
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby jamesarcuri » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:57 pm

It seems like with the Detailed boot information from Dualbootpro that I copied for you above that Win 8 and Win 7 are both being referenced.

What edit of the boot loader would have to be done to get both Win 7 and Win 8 to show. If you are stumped please show this to someone else and see what we have to do because I do not give up on things like this. THERE IS A WAY!!!

jim
PRO Level 2

PreviousNext

Return to Windows Boot Problems