A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Trying to Dual Boot Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 8 Pro

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Trying to Dual Boot Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 8 Pro

Postby jamesarcuri » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:27 pm

I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64 on a raid 0 drive and Windows 8 Pro 64 on a separate 600Gb hard drive with nothing on it but Windows 8. I did not disconnect the raid drive when I installed Windows 8, just did a normal custom install and picked the 600Gb as the drive for Win 8. The only way I can currently go from one system to the other is hit the F key that brings up the motherboard boot menu and then pick which I want to boot from. In this case for Windows 7 I have to choose either {Intel Volume 0} or {P2: WDC WD6000HLHX-01JJPV0} or for Windows 8 I have to choose {Windows Boot Manager (P2: WDC WD6000H.HX-01JJPV0)} Whichever system I choose to boot from becomes the dominant system until I refer back to the motherboard boot menu and choose the other operating system than that one will become dominant.

I have used dualbootpro in the past when dual booting XP - Vista, then Vista - Windows 7. I currently own Dualbootpro 1.1. What do I need to do so Dualbootpro will become my boot menu automatically when I boot or reboot?

Dualbootpro 1.1 is currently installed on both systems, normal install for Windows 7 and copy Program Files (x86)\PROnetworks\DualBootPRO\Resources from Win 7 to Win 8 then update NetFramework.

Also both operating systems see their drives as C:\ drive.

Thank you in advance for all of your help!!!!

Jim
PRO Level 2

Re: Trying to Dual Boot Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 8 Pro

Postby yeshuas » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:50 pm

What have you tried doing with Dual Boot Pro?

Have you tried running the "Diagnostics", to see if it picks up the Operating System that is missing, or have you tried going to the "System Bootloader" tab and placing a check in the "Vista or Windows 7" bootloader and then placing a check in the "All Drives" and then clicking the "Install Bootloader" button?
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby jamesarcuri » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:15 pm

Ran Diagnostics in Win7 and it only showed Windows7, then did exactly what you suggested using System Bootloader, when I rebooted it went straight to Windows7 without giving me an option. Tried exactly the same things you had suggested but did them in Windows8 Diagnostics only showed Win8 then tried System Bootloader in Windows8 using your suggested routine rebooted and it still went straight into Windows8 with no boot menu selection.

What's next?
PRO Level 2

Postby yeshuas » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:33 am

trying to figure out where to go from here, it seems your hard drives on 2 different adapters.
do all hard drives show up in disk management, and in my computer?

you're raid array, and the other hard drive, probably have their own system partitions, that you will have to unhide and give a drive letter to.

you have to change attribites in folder options, under the view tab check show hidded files folders and drives, and uncheck in Hide protected system files

you then should be able to see the hidden system partitions, and to give them drive letters
use dual boot pro, and run diagnostics and see if they show up then
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby jamesarcuri » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:58 am

Using diskmanagement in Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit which is the raid drive {Disk 0} shows one hidden partition (System Reserved 100MB NTFS System, Active Primary Partition) no drive letter. (424.70GB NTFS Healthy Boot, Crash Dump, Primary Partition) C: drive (raid 0 drive).

Again using diskmanagement in Windows 7 Ultimate the drive that has Windows 8 Pro 64bit {Disk 1} shows one hidden partition (Healthy Recovery Partition 300MB) another hidden partition (Healthy EFI System Partition 100MB) plus D: drive (558.39GB NTFS Healthy Primary Partition)

I was able to add S: as the drive letter to the hidden partition on Win 7 C: drive but I was not even given the option of adding letters to the hidden partitions on the Win8 D: drive. I did unhide system files etc as you suggested, under tools in Windows Explorer right??? When you said change attributes, were you saying unhide the files?

Should I go into Windows 8 itself and try the same procedures there as in unhide system files etc and assign drive letters?

jim
PRO Level 2

Postby yeshuas » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:52 am

yes do the same thing in Windows 8 with showing the files folders and, and unhiding the system files folders and drives etc

It is odd that your Windows 8 has so many partitions, with the system partition, the regular drive partition, and the recovery partition. I am going to try and recreate you situation on my test computer when I get home tonight, as it already has a raid drive with windows 7 X64 on it, all I will have to do is add another drive and install Windows 8 to see if I get the same number of partitions and issue
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby jamesarcuri » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:48 am

I was able to add a drive letter to the unlettered partition in Windows 7 but not in Windows 8. I tried for several hours until I came across this:

http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/UploadFile/6cde20/change-drive-letter-in-windows-8/

The new lettered previously hidden partition in Windows 7 shows naturally in Win 7 but also in Win 8 but none could be lettered in Win 8.

So what's next???

jim
PRO Level 2

Postby yeshuas » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:00 am

Where did the Winodws 8 disk come from, is it a OEM install disk from for example HP or Dell, that may explain the Recovery partition that it created
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby jamesarcuri » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:10 am

Came straight from Microsoft, but I saw several other examples of Windows 8 online with the same partitions!

There are several places that talk about not installing the recovery partition in Win 8, even if the recovery partition was not there it still refuses to letter the system partition anyway, I think that solves the 3 partition question so

What next!!!

jim
PRO Level 2

Postby yeshuas » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:14 pm

what motherboard do you have, or computer model
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI