A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Win7 wireless DHCP

Win7 wireless DHCP

Postby abber » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:35 pm

How do you configure Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 to act as a wireless DHCP LAN server?

At the mo I have a mobile usb dongle on the win7 machine providing internet, and have enabled ICS. This is allowing me to share out the net connection to an xp machine which i have wirelessly linked to the win7 machine using an adhoc network - however whenever the xp machine is rebooted, the win7 machine drops the adhoc network and has to be reconnected.

I also have a wireless printer. this works ok on the current setup, using the adhoc network, but again, if it powers down on timeout it causes the win7 machine to drop the network.

Someone said "you just set up a proper infrastructure network, enable ICS and then bridge the connections" but I'm having trouble because I'm pretty unfamiliar with W7.

edit 11-sept: I found this >> http://www.labnol.org/software/wireless-network-without-router/11494/ (re: Virtual Router s/w & W7's native virtual WiFi) which looks interesting & relevant to the question but why, would I need to use a virtual adapter and third party software? I have a real full-time hardware wireless card for the LAN, completely seperate from the USB WAN dongle..

I just want to do what I used to do on XP.. share out dongle-fed/UMTS Internet across my 100% dedicated realworld-hardware WLAN, simply and robustly.. surely there must be a simple straightforward way :uhhh

wondering to myself if this is any use > http://www.techylabs.com/setting-up-a-virtual-router-in-windows-7.html

ok yup that worked to share internet out & connect via some kind of WLAN permanently. hope it helps someone. not sure it's DHCP'ing though. so different from XP man :confused
PRO New Member

Re: Win7 wireless DHCP

Postby yeshuas » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:43 am

i am glad you got that worked out, I simpy would have gotten a router
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD