A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Windows 8

Windows 8

Postby JabbaPapa » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:25 pm

hmmmmmm .... well, guess I might just buy the W8 after all !!

I'm NOT a big fan !!!

But :

1) Upgrade price is insanely low !!! €30

2) Windows 8 Classic Shell :cool:

---

1) I really do need one extra copy of W7+ anyway

2) what ? what ? bypass Metro entirely and use the W7 Aero Start Menu ??? Instant I-don't-hate-W8-any-more goodness !!!!

-----

(hmmmmmm, haven't bought a copy of Windows since 1999, just had everything extra from MS for free, so I guess it's catch-up time and throw a few €€€ at them I guess ... :oops: )
PRO VETERAN

Re: Windows 8

Postby kanaloa » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:10 pm

I still say it flops... I think it's going to confuse the heck out of most PC users. I was showing my sister in law, and it was obvious to me that Win8 was not going to be a home run, unless younger people just up and suddenly start going crazy for Windows tablets. Not likely.
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby yeshuas » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:58 pm

I totally agree John, some of the navigation is a pain in the b***, other parts make sense, people who like a lot of icons on their desktop to start programs, will love windows 8.

this 1 company I worked tech support for, had a woman come up to me, and complain to me because, another woman had more programs on her computer then she did, not that she did, she was just more computer savvy and created shortcuts on her desktop so I just created and icon on her desktop for every program on her computer, she was totally happy, because now her desk top was totally coverEd lol
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby JabbaPapa » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:00 pm

kanaloa wrote:I still say it flops...

I agree.

W9 will just have to be W8 "done right", just as W7 was WVI "fixed" in the same way...

But it *is* a good OS to breathe new life into some ageing rigs, provided you realise this, or your friendly neighnourhood techie does.
PRO VETERAN

Postby kanaloa » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:14 pm

Dare I say Microsoft is actually AHEAD of its time with this release of Windows 8? I think they have a great new setup, I just don't think people are ready for a touch-based OS on their desktop yet.

Apple has been smart to keep OS X and iOS5/6 separate from each other, while still merging features into both that make logical sense.

Microsoft has obviously revolutionized the PC industry on more than one occasion, but hardware makers aren't producing touch devices for the masses yet, and Windows 8's departure from its typical "Windows GUI" is confusing and just weird at times. If I was learning it the first time, I might catch on quick enough, but if I've been a loyal Windows fan for decades now, I would be completely flabbergasted at the changes.

It reminds of me of when they changed the Office Suite's top navigation and it confused the heck out of everyone - this Windows release is the same thing, but worse in my opinion.

It's a beautiful OS in many ways, but it's WAY ahead of its time on the standard desktop PC. For touch devices, I think it'll be cool - though I doubt Surface will make a big splash either.

The smartest thing Microsoft has done is cut the price, but one has to wonder if they've only done that because they're worried about people NOT adopting the OS because of how radically different it is. Of course, ironically, by cutting the price, more people will adopt it, thus create total utter chaos if they can't figure it out. MS will be flooded with support inquiries.

Glad I don't work the MS Support desk this October, that's all I'm sayin'...
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Return to General Tech Chat