A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Windows 8 - New information

Re: Windows 8 - New information

Postby shreader » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:45 pm

Windows 8 has reached the RTM milestone

Today, I am excited to announce that Windows 8 has been released to manufacturing (RTM)! This means we’ve completed the product development and testing of the product and have started handing off the final code to our OEM partners. They can now begin preparing new Windows 8 PCs and devices they’ll introduce starting with General Availability. For more on RTM, I suggest reading this blog post from Steven Sinofsky on the Building Windows 8 blog.

So when will folks be able to get their hands on the new Windows 8 RTM code?

People will be able get Windows 8 starting on October 26th either by upgrading for $39.99 or on a new PC or device. And if you buy an eligible Windows 7 PC today, you will be able to purchase an upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for $14.99 (U.S.) through the Windows Upgrade Offer.

However, we have a number of programs that provides various audiences early access to the Windows 8 RTM code to help prepare for Windows 8 as it enters the marketplace this fall:
August 15th: Developers will be able to download the final version of Windows 8 via your MSDN subscriptions.
August 15th: IT professionals testing Windows 8 in organizations will be able to access the final version of Windows 8 through your TechNet subscriptions.
August 16th: Customers with existing Microsoft Software Assurance for Windows will be able to download Windows 8 Enterprise edition through the Volume License Service Center (VLSC), allowing you to test, pilot and begin adopting Windows 8 Enterprise within your organization.
August 16th: Microsoft Partner Network members will have access to Windows 8.
August 20th: Microsoft Action Pack Providers (MAPS) receive access to Windows 8.
September 1st: Volume License customers without Software Assurance will be able to purchase Windows 8 through Microsoft Volume License Resellers.

Please note: if a program you are in is not mentioned, please be patient as dates for Windows 8 RTM code availability for other programs will be communicated when the information becomes available.

Source: The Windows Blog
Software Director

Postby shreader » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:09 pm

Earlier this week after MS disributed the RTM DVD's to the manufacturers a copy of the Enterprise edition (x64) leaked to the internet.

No activation so it has the watermark in the lower rt. corner on the desktop.

Software Director

Postby kanaloa » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:50 pm

I still can't get over the low cost to upgrade. Microsoft is surely taking a note out of Apple's book this time. I never thought I'd see the day that'd happen with Balmer in charge.

Go figure :lol:
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby shreader » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:14 pm

Yes MS sure did cut the upgrade price.
I bought a verrrrry cheap Lenovo laptop I use at the beach, bit risky leaving it in the car while I paddle out though, that's why the cheapo choice.
NTL MS/Lenovo offered me a $15. Win8 upgrade on that, I am hoping I will receive a DVD.
---------------

This weekend 3 more flavors of the Windows 8 RTM leaked :shocked:
Enterprise edition (x86)
PROfessional edition (x64)
PROfessional edition (x86)

*I wonder if these will be the same ones that will be posted on MSDN?TechNet
Software Director

Postby JabbaPapa » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:22 pm

shreader wrote:Earlier this week after MS disributed the RTM DVD's to the manufacturers a copy of the Enterprise edition (x64) leaked to the internet.

No activation so it has the watermark in the lower rt. corner on the desktop.

That's not a leak, it's the 90-day trial version.

There are tricks to extend the trial period, but whether to 120 or 330 days max I do not know.

The W7 Enterprise can be extended to 330 days, of which only any given 30 need be consecutive.

Apart from the Rearming, there's a SkipRearm reghack. Dunno if the same hack will work in W8, and it works slightly differently in Vista too.
PRO VETERAN

Postby shreader » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:19 pm

kanaloa wrote:I still can't get over the low cost to upgrade. Microsoft is surely taking a note out of Apple's book this time. I never thought I'd see the day that'd happen with Balmer in charge.

Go figure :lol:

Upgrade Software

Each upgrade license will apply to only one PC and may only be installed on PCs with a valid base license to a qualifying operating system (i.e., Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista or Windows 7).

While the offer will be limited to eligible customers who purchase a qualified PC, the upgrade may be installed on any compatible Windows-based PC with a qualifying operating system.

http://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-U ... rogramInfo

*I am surprised that MS will allow me to install this $14.99 upgrade on any PC (1x), not only the new one I purchased. Very cool :yesnod:
Hopefully a TechNet installed W7 will be upgradeable w/ this offer.
Software Director

Previous

Return to Alpha / Beta Software