A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Windows 8 Release Preview (RC), Build 8400 Install & Testing

Re: Windows 8 Release Preview (RC), Build 8400 Install & Tes

Postby JabbaPapa » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:11 pm

shreader wrote: will also definitely be running Windows 8 once its released :yesnod:

WOW !!!

Definitely le monde à l'envers !!!!

I liked the DP, accepted the CP, but *hate* the RP...

(John, if there's some kind of freebie W8 contest planned -- cut corners, and just hand it out to JD instead !!!! :police)

Pah !!! --- these weird surfer dudes !!!!!!!! --- :whistle ^*^ :witch: :witch: :witch: :witch: :witch: :witch: :witch: :witch:
PRO VETERAN

Postby shreader » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:14 am

Using the Win8 x64 of the RP (using a Windows-2-Go installation of it) & on my laptop w/ VT-x & ETP (for SLAT) supported I tested out Hyper-V today.
Not wanting to gamble w/ the laptop configuration I instead used a USB 3.0 external Hdd (W2G) & plugged it in the USB 3.0 slot on the laptop.

Had to jump through a few hoops since I chose the Hyper-V default settings but after 33 minutes I had a clean copy of Windows 7 x64 installed (keyless).
Its similar to a VPC/VM installation.

Software Director

Postby kanaloa » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:16 pm

Hey guys,

Just to check it out, I thought I'd try the Windows 8 Preview. But my main PC, which is not even a year old and customized by myself, isn't getting past the 83-85% mark before it fails, without any real reason. Any ideas?

I installed a duplicate copy of Windows 7 just to perform this installation, but now it won't even install for some reason.

I am surprised there was no clean install option, but that's what prompted me to install the duplicate Windows 7 installation to begin with. I'm just getting frustrated it won't install. Even booting from disk didn't help, it kept giving me some I/O error about a drive I don't even have plugged in.

Very strange. Any ideas?

Thanks
-J
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby yeshuas » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:03 pm

Any and all of the Windows 8 versions from the very beginning have had the clean install option.

Are you booting from the install disk or trying to install from within a previous install of Windows 7 and do the upgrade.

I always have a disk or partition prepared first and boot off the install disk and do a clean install
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby kanaloa » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:20 pm

yeshuas wrote:Any and all of the Windows 8 versions from the very beginning have had the clean install option.

Are you booting from the install disk or trying to install from within a previous install of Windows 7 and do the upgrade.

I always have a disk or partition prepared first and boot off the install disk and do a clean install

I was trying to do it within my Windows 7 installation, the one I duplicated. Never gave me the clean install option though, weird. Let me just format that drive and try and do it from the disk and see what happens.

-J
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby kanaloa » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:46 pm

Still getting the I/O error when booting from the disk. I just unplugged everything, even my data hard drive, and it's still popping up. I guess this might not be meant to be for my PC. Very weird.
President

Postby yeshuas » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:44 pm

I/O errors could be from outdated/corrupted driver, dirty drive, loose connection, etc

At what speed did you burn the disk at, and what brand of media
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby kanaloa » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:47 pm

yeshuas wrote:I/O errors could be from outdated/corrupted driver, dirty drive, loose connection, etc

At what speed did you burn the disk at, and what brand of media

I think I just burned the disk like normal... but maybe I just need to download the software and try it again that way. I suspect the reason it's blocking me from upgrading from Win 7 is also the I/O issue, but until I can figure out what that issue is... I'm stuck. Hrm, maybe it is the disk.

Thanks for your help, I know this is all kinda vague right now - I wish I knew what it was myself.
President

Postby yeshuas » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:49 pm

Burn it at no faster than 4, I personally go with 2
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby shreader » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:32 pm

There is also a W8 upgrade asssistant (click the blue bar, skip the email part)
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... roDL_EN-US

Which will do a online installation of the RP.

One downloads this file & runs it from their desktop, one can also choose the partition to install to (or save as a .iso). If you are in x86 it'll Dl the x86 version, same for x64.
Windows8-ReleasePreview-UpgradeAssistant.exe
Software Director

PreviousNext

Return to Alpha / Beta Software