Re: Windows 8 - New information

Postby shreader » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:36 pm

Download link
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/download
or
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... er-preview
or, .iso's
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/iso

Its a preview setup & one has to go thru a few screens until the download starts
Software Director

Postby JabbaPapa » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:57 pm

Just started downloading -- will burn and install in the morning :)
PRO VETERAN

Postby shreader » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:18 pm

Announce...Windows 8 Release Preview first week of June.

source: Building Windows 8 - tweat

*Renamed the Release Candidate also, I see
Software Director

Postby shreader » Fri May 04, 2012 3:52 pm

Microsoft: Media Center not part of 'the future of entertainment'
By Ed Bott | May 3, 2012, 4:45pm PDT

Summary: A new blog post from Microsoft fills in details about how Media Center will fit in Windows 8, as an extra-cost option. And it’s pretty clear that Media Center is not part of “the future of entertainment in Windows.”

In a new post at the Building Windows 8 blog, Microsoft starts with this emphatic promise: “Windows 8 will deliver a world-class video and audio entertainment experience.”

The post concludes on a similarly upbeat note: “We are incredibly excited about the future of entertainment in Windows.”

In between are a few paragraphs guaranteed to disappoint old-school Windows media enthusiasts.

Microsoft already announced that Windows Media Center will be an extra-cost option in Windows and that it will require Windows 8 Pro.

The rest of the pst is @:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/microsof ... ag=nl.e539
Software Director

Postby JabbaPapa » Sun May 27, 2012 10:09 am

The W8 RC is reportedly incoming on June 1st, but personally I find that my interest in the new Windows version is clearly waning.

I'll always feel that, warts and all, Vista is better than XP, mainly for what it does better under the hood, plus the x64 capability, though it's an absolute nightmare of time-wastery if you want to get a totally glitch-free setup -- and of course Windows 7 is THE best version they've come out with since the revolutionary W95.

Windows 8 though ? A marketing campaign in the guise of a Windows UI I most certainly do NOT need -- and as for the W8 Aero desktop, it's a clear step backwards from the W7. And, frankly, from Vista.

At least if Metro *looked* cool, I might have a different attitude -- but it looks like sh*t.

OK, YES, if I were a mobile-device-holic I'd be super happy that W8 will let people use Windows on those devices -- but I'm not one of those people.

As for under the hood -- well, whichever W7>W8 performance gains there may be, and it'll mainly be ditching Media Center functionality which has been a bloated resources hog ever since they came out with the thing, oh and BTW even when you never use it (!!!), well honestly when I compare Beta performance with current W7, there is very little difference at all on my computer (the Alpha did actually improve overall performance, but well Beta doesn't, that's life, and that's Microsoft for you...) -- it boils down to : W8 boots faster than W7. So what ?

This might end up being the first RTM Windows Client version that I'll skip since Windows Me -- I nearly skipped XP completely, at least on my personal rig, but it did in fact end up being my Main OS for a short 3-4 month period at one point, plus I did give XP MCE a few weeks, and I still maintain that XP x64 doesn't really count as "XP" :no . :whistle

hmmmm I also can't help but feel that Microsoft's clearly deliberate policy of keeping the IT Enthusiasts at arms length during this Beta will backfire on them -- I'll be sticking with W7 for all of the above reasons, but it seems clear to me that the more piracy & hacking focused Enthusiasts, having received no Beta invite carrot, are less liable to restrain their creativity than if they had. Has MS *really* forgotten all those important community relations + marketing strategy lessons learned during Longhorn Alpha/Beta ??

Bottom line though : Windows 8 is a disappointment, IMO.

OK it establishes some absolutely vital basic protocols and technologies for the future of the OS, in a constantly changing and evolving and ever more miniaturised hardware environment, which is good -- particularly for those who are in need of such solutions in the here and now -- but it's desperately lacking in style, which is something that both W7 and Mac OS deliver in spades.
PRO VETERAN

Postby yeshuas » Sun May 27, 2012 1:03 pm

I agree on everything Julian said, especially the windows 8 user interface, and like him windows 7 will remain my main o s
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby shreader » Tue May 29, 2012 3:06 am

Looking forward the the Windows 8 RP/RC.
It appears that MS is getting their links ready, this link still goes to the CP/Beta though.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 23bff5adea
Software Director

Postby shreader » Thu May 31, 2012 1:36 am

*I hope this is accurate.
Microsoft accidentally announces Windows 8 Release Preview availability to be May 31

It looks like we're going to get what everyone's been waiting to get their hands on earlier than expected. A badly timed blog post (now deleted) today on the Windows Hardware and Driver Developer Blog pinned the release date of the next preview of Windows for May 31st.

The post was written by Chuck Chan, Corporate Vice President of the Windows Development team on a new blog called the "Windows Hardware and Driver Developer Blog" this morning. He says that the "Release Preview" has been "made available today" and then signs the date and his name at the end of the post as "Chuck Chan, May 31st."

If you're looking for conclusive evidence that Windows 8 will be in everyone's hands tomorrow, this is it. The blog post was removed just two minutes after it was published and the blog remains empty for now. Whilst the links provided in the post currently point to the Consumer Preview, they will update tomorrow when Microsoft makes the actual announcement. You can read the full text of the post before it was yanked below.

*also @ the bottom:
Windows 8 Release Preview: Download here (not active until May 31st)

Windows 8 Driver Kit: Download here (not active until May 31st)

Visual Studio 2012 Professional: Download here (not active until May 31st)

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8-re ... and-may-31
Software Director

Postby shreader » Thu May 31, 2012 4:20 pm

Download link for RP/RC:

OK here it is:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/download

Direct to x86 & x64 downloads - .iso:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/iso
Software Director

Postby shreader » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:15 pm

Remember the Protogon OS we played with earlier in Windows 8, now its called:

ReFS (Resilient File System, originally codenamed Protogon) is a new file system initially intended for file servers that improves on NTFS in Windows Server 2012. The project originally started out as Monolithic NTFS (MNTFS) and then ended up codenamed Protogon before the final ReFS naming was chosen.
Microsoft claims ReFS has been built from the ground up, to meet the demands of the storage requirements needed by Windows users. It offers the ability to handle large storage volumes (maximum volume size of 1 Yobibyte), shared storage pools across multiple machines and enhanced resiliency to corruption

Source - incl. benchmarks

More at: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012 ... -refs.aspx
Software Director

PreviousNext

Return to Alpha / Beta Software