A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Windows 8 Release Preview (RC), Build 8400 Install & Testing

Re: Windows 8 Release Preview (RC), Build 8400 Install & Tes

Postby yeshuas » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:01 pm

I hate the Metro GUI, it is better with Julian's start menu fix, but it is still a pain in the ukw
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby kanaloa » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:17 pm

JabbaPapa wrote:John, the one thing that Apple are hands down BEST at, is providing fantastic hardware and hardware configurations :yesnod: ^*^ :drinking

You're exactly right about that. ^*^ I've never been disappointed with their hardware and how well thought out it is. Even the installation of Windows 7 on the Mac was simpler than I ever expected.

I think Apple's software (OS) is probably on par with Windows 7 - both have their advantages and disadvantages (I hate trying to view photos in Mac OS X without using iPhoto). But with the way Apple is gaining traction in the mobile market, and even in the PC market, you have to wonder if in another few years Apple will be dominating Microsoft. I think Apple is WAY ahead of the game when it comes to making devices 'cool' and touch screens easy to use. I guess the question is, will Apple still be Apple without Steve Jobs?

Steve though, may he rest in peace, he may yet have the last 'laugh' in all of this.
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby JabbaPapa » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:53 pm

yeshuas wrote:I hate the Metro GUI, it is better with Julian's start menu fix, but it is still a pain in the ukw

Please try not to publicise the workaround prior to RTM -- or Microsoft might KILL it !!!
PRO VETERAN

Postby yeshuas » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:27 pm

JabbaPapa wrote:
yeshuas wrote:I hate the Metro GUI, it is better with Julian's start menu fix, but it is still a pain in the ukw

Please try not to publicise the workaround prior to RTM -- or Microsoft might KILL it !!!

HUH!!!! You mentioned it earlier in this topic, I'm not going to publicize it though
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby JabbaPapa » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:18 am

yeshuas wrote:
JabbaPapa wrote:

HUH!!!! You mentioned it earlier in this topic, I'm not going to publicize it though

They are apparently VERY keen to KILL all Start Menu functionality, even to the extent that they're killing the capability of a 3rd party app originally developed for XP or Vista that gave access to a fully functional Start button ... :shocked:
PRO VETERAN

Postby shreader » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:17 pm

I heard this Install Fair is over after I signed-up this AM, so they may still be accepting applications.
Some good info in the FAQ & Discussions.

I found the action/ join under the Connect/ Directory/ All
Software Director

Postby shreader » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:58 pm

The Countdown to Windows 8

June 11, 2012, 2:42pm PDT | Length: 00:30:45

The finishing touches are being put on the code and Windows 8 is just about ready for prime time...or is it? There are still lots of questions around the new Metro UI, the Start Menu and support for the Windows OS's of the recent past. Join host Jonas Tichenor along with Windows experts and authors Ed Bott and Rafael Rivera as they breakdown Microsoft's latest offering as it prepares to hit the market.

http://www.zdnet.com/videos/hot-topics/ ... ag=nl.e539
Software Director

Postby shreader » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:55 pm

I like the Start Desktop, I have gotten used to it & think it’s more efficient for finding the apps I use/use most.
Not hard to customize. One thing MS might fix is when I installed the old build of Office 15 all the apps showed-up on my Start Desktop, I just Rt. clk. them all & chose "Unpin from Start"... gone.

I will also definitely be running Windows 8 once its released :yesnod:
Naturally I'll also have Win7 on another partition(s) also.
Software Director

Postby shreader » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:17 am

I tested W8 RP x64 on a Windows 2 Go flash drive that I created in W8 CP x64.
It ran great on a regular desktop PC except it wont download any updates or Features.

I tried it earlier today on my S7S tablet that worked about the same. The tablet has a 11" diag screen so the Start Desktop icons are a bit bigger.
The touch keyboard, Windows Photo Viewer (next picture >) & open & close apps, etc. worked good using my finger as the input device.

Here is a screeny of the Start desktop/Computer/ w/ Rt. Clk choices @ the bottom (resized, hope you can read it).
Software Director

Postby shreader » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:31 am

shreader wrote:I tested W8 RP x64 on a Windows 2 Go flash drive that I created in W8 CP x64.
It ran great on a regular desktop PC except it wont download any updates or Features.
>snip<

I tested Windows 2 Go (W2G) again but this time on a WD Passport USB 3.0 portable Hdd.

W/ this one I could run the updates, add .NET 3.5 & upgrade the OS to "Windows 8 Release Preview with Media Center" features :yesnod:

I also was able to run the Performance Info. w/ the external Hdd scoring a 4.4
Setting up the W2G setup this time only took 30 minutes, incl only 16.5 minutes to apply the install.wim to the external Hdd, the flash drive on my first test took 44 minutes to do the same procedure.

Software Director

PreviousNext

Return to Alpha / Beta Software