A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Can I install XP after Win7 with DualBootPro?

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

Can I install XP after Win7 with DualBootPro?

Postby Michael Smith » Tue May 15, 2012 8:11 am

This is a very basic question to help me understand whether to buy DualBootPro -

I have a new desktop running Win7 64 bit SP1 Home Premium. I cannot run some old navigation software (electronic sea charts) on it, which runs fine on XP. Home Premium does not have the XP Mode feature, so I need to install XP as a dual boot. I have a legal copy of XP Pro 32 bit that I could use.

I have read elsewhere that, to run two Windows versions, the older one must be installed first. That would require me to wipe the existing Win7 installation and start again. Does DualBootPro overcome this limitation and allow me to install XP Pro 32 bit when Win7 64 bit Home Premium is already installed?

The desktop has a single 1TB HDD, which I have just split into two equal partitions. I could also put my XP version on an external HDD, as I shall only want to run it occasionally. Would this simplify matters?

My thanks to anyone who knows the best way to proceed!!
PRO New Member

Re: Can I install XP after Win7 with DualBootPro?

Postby yeshuas » Tue May 15, 2012 10:52 am

this guide will help you, it walks you through step by step

install-windows-xp-in-dual-boot-with-pre-installed-windows-7-t112568.html
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby Michael Smith » Wed May 16, 2012 5:12 pm

Thank you for your quick and very helpful reply! Kind regards, Michael.
PRO New Member

Postby setbon » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:00 pm

I have a sony Windows 7 upgrade disk and I don't believe it includes a "repair" option. Could someone provide guidance via remote collaboration tool that I can provide to gain control over my laptop. I have spent countless hours trying to make this work and I got some assistance from Sony tech support but they can't help with the last part. I now boot to XP on my (C:) and have Windows 7 on (F:). I read the guides that are provided but after I follow instructions and run the diagnostics nothing appears. It's not working for me. I'm happy to pay for support.
Please feel free contact me via PM if you can help
PRO New Member

Return to PRO Software