A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Win 7/64 Won't Boot

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Win 7/64 Won't Boot

Postby hawkdriver » Sat May 05, 2012 5:06 pm

Window 7 Professional 64 will not boot in Alienware M17x. Error message indicates need to remove usb device or hard drive not working.
with error code file boot\bcd. Dell came and installed a new mother board ( I broke bios battery holder, and a new blank hard drive.). They are willing to talk me thru a complete recovery/restore to factory fresh. Wonderful but the work ahead is daunting. I have Arconis backups for all three partitions on the drive, which are readable. Vista boot pro is installed on the non working drive and was run prior to the crash. I am hoping there is a way to fix/restore/recover the non booting hard drive. There is a 39mb fat16 first partition, a 9mb recovery partition which has the boot\bcd file( this partition is marked as active), and the Os in the next partition. If I knew which partition was where booting is to occur I could try to restore the MBR and track 0 from an acronis backup. Another thought is to run vista boot pro in a dos mode if that is possible and reload the boot ladcer. Is there a way to enable the hard drive to enable booting that you can suggest???
Reviewed other posts. Can an oem win 7 32bit dvd be used to repair my system which is a 64 bit version? If not, I can always go buy a win 7/64 locally. The laptop came with an os recovery dvd but I am not sure there is an option to do a recovery of boot issues.
PRO Level 3

Re: Win 7/64 Won't Boot

Postby shreader » Sun May 06, 2012 7:13 pm

You can try a Start-up Repair booting your PC from your Vista or Win7 DVD.
Choose startup repair/repair boot manager, you might have to run it twice.
Software Director

Postby hawkdriver » Mon May 07, 2012 8:38 pm

I ran the repair prior to the above post. It appeared to not fix the problem. I attempted to run it after reading the post and it would not run. It loaded, but all that came up was the windows logo. Just to be clear, I used an oem windows 7 dvd 32 bit edition, even thought my machine is a 64 bit system.
PRO Level 3

Postby shreader » Tue May 08, 2012 12:56 am

My win7 is installed on a x64 rig but I have no problem running the boot manager repair, maybe its because its a OEM dvd?

I don't suppose you have a restore DVD from the PC manufacturer or created one/some?
I ran one (from the manufacturer) on a laptop using the key on the laptop & it installed everything again, had to order & buy the restore DVD though as they aren’t supplied w/ newer machines anymore. Worked great on a replacement Hdd w/ nothing on it.
Software Director

Return to Windows Boot Problems