A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

DualBootPro on Windows 8 CP

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

DualBootPro on Windows 8 CP

Postby AndrewC » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:47 am

I have just installed Windows 8 Consumer Preview: I created a new partition for Win 8 so I could dual-boot with Vista. My first attempt at installing Win 8 got half-way through before failing, but it had done enough to make it impossible to boot into either Vista or Win 8. At this point the pc would try to start Vista but reported a problem with boot manager.

I repeated the installation of Win 8 - this time successfully. However, there is still no option to boot into Vista. Even if I removed Win 8 altogether, I would doubtless still get the same boot-manager problem when trying to start Vista.

So I purchased DualBootPro (ok, I know it does not say explicitly that it will work with Win 8, but I am an optimist :roleeyes ). It does not install under Win 8, claiming that there is insufficient disk space available - I have nearly 30Gb free on the Win 8 partition.

Any chance of a fix or workaround?

Thanks, Andrew
PRO New Member

Re: DualBootPro on Windows 8 CP

Postby jbullard » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:09 pm

As of right now there are several mixed reviews on DBP installing on Win 8. Some individuals have no problems installing and using it while others are experiencing issues. However, this sounds more like an installer problem and could be that MS decided to release an updated Windows Installer. Don't quote me on that as I'm not aware of all the updated software with W8. Until MS actually has a release candidate ready we don't want to make any changes.

One workaround that you might be able to do is install it under Windows 7 or Vista and copy the install folder over to W8.
VP - Software

Postby AndrewC » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:37 pm

Thanks for this suggestion. I installed the program on my Win 7 pc and copied the whole of the folder
Code: Select all
C:\Program Files\PROnetworks\DualBootPRO\

to my Win 8 pc, and the program runs - excellent!

Now all I have to do is get it to resolve the boot problem with Vista.

Thanks again, AndrewC
PRO New Member

Postby jbullard » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:30 pm

No problem. In order to get Vista back, you could try and run the Diagnostics option in the Tools menu but if that doesn't work, you can easily add it manually using DBP. :yesnod:
VP - Software

Postby bjornb » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:50 pm

W8CP-64 has a couple of install issues:

1. Initial installation aborts with a '.NET 2.0 missing' error.

Following the .NET update (.NET 4 is be part of the OS, but had to install 3.5),

2.DBP now aborts with a 'note enough space' error although 153GB are free.

Suggestions, comments?
PRO New Member

Postby jbullard » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:43 pm

It is the same issue that the OP was having. If possible, install in a different OS (ie Vista, W7) and copy the contents of the install folder over to WP8. W8 must have upgraded to a new installer which is returning a size error.
VP - Software

Postby AndrewC » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:18 am

jbullard wrote:No problem. In order to get Vista back, you could try and run the Diagnostics option in the Tools menu but if that doesn't work, you can easily add it manually using DBP. :yesnod:

Problem solved ^*^

I chose the second thing you suggested, and you are quite right: "easily add it manually" is just how it was. In case it may be helpful to anyone else, here's what I did - just 3 steps:

1. Care Centre: create a backup of the existing boot setup.

2. Operating Systems: only Win8CP was showing (on C:), so Add New OS Entry from the Vista partition (D:) and Apply Updates.

3. System Bootloader: choose a new bootloader (Windows Vista or Windows 7), on Specific Drive D:, and Install Bootloader.

Job done! The dual-boot runs perfectly and because I chose Win8CP as the default OS the startup options giving the choice between the two OSs is in the new Win8 format.

Well done DBP :notworthy $9.95 well spent!

Regards, Andrew
PRO New Member

Postby JabbaPapa » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:59 am

Generally speaking, I have found that multibooting with the previous generation of Windows (VI/7/2k8) is best achieved by creating a multiboot scenario using only these, and including at least one non-essential VI/7 setup-- and then running W8 setup by booting into this VI/7 and running setup from opening your installation media in Windows Explorer, then either upgrade or clean install to this VI/7 setup location according to preference.

Use VBP or DBP from within the other Operating System, if you have trouble installing it in W8.

My current *guess* is that the (improved) Sleep function in W8 is the culprit interfering with the legacy boot menu.
PRO VETERAN

Return to PRO Software