A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Dual Boot XP Pro w Win 7 - using disk/partition image/clone

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

Re: Dual Boot XP Pro w Win 7 - using disk/partition image/cl

Postby setbon » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:22 pm

I had heard that installing XP first was preferred but if that's if that is just an unfounded rumor I can certainly try installing Win 7 first.

Will do over the next few days and report back! Thank you :)
PRO New Member

Postby setbon » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:47 pm

I had read that it was not recommended to start with installing Windows 7 first. That's why I thought I needed to first install XP pro. But if that's not true than I can certainly install Win 7 and then shrink the partition and create a new partition.

However here's the issue now:
I came across "By default, Windows 7 creates a separate system partition when it's installed from scratch (as opposed to upgraded from a previous version of Windows) on an unpartitioned hard drive. This partition is 100 MB in size. Source http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-are-system-partitions-and-boot-partitions

The Sony Vaio Z720D came with Vista on the laptop (fresh install from factory), consequently I inserted the Windows 7 upgrade disks. I did not seem to have kept an image of Vista so I cannot start the upgrade from scratch to double check.

When I look within Ghost at the HDD I see Partition 1: "Primary" E: label "Recovery" 12235 (12 GB) and Partition 2: "Primary" C: label "no name" 293008 (293 GB).

I do not see a separate 100 MB or 200 MB system partition and I am not sure if I deleted it during the initial upgrade or if it just never was there in the first place (like they say above).

So..in my situation, will the E: or C: partition contain the necessary "System Files" or do I need to do something to check if they do?

I also came across "How to create a separate system partition for dual booting Windows XP or Windows 2000 with Windows 7" source http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee829686(WS.10).aspx - do I need to do anything with that as in do I need to create a "separate System partition " for the dual boot to work and for Gdisk32 to be able to create images/clones of it ?
PRO New Member

Postby shreader » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:03 pm

Just a little note here.
The small 200 MB partition is usually hidden w/ no drive letter & won't be seen in Computer but can be seen in Windows Disk Manager.

Here are some guides the PROnetworks staff prepared to help members.
guides-f250.html
Software Director

Postby setbon » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:10 pm

Last night I purchased DualBootPRO - Business License and paid via paypal. Will a link for the software download be sent to me along with my license # ?
PRO New Member

Postby shreader » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:29 am

You should receive it shortly :yesnod:
Software Director

Postby kanaloa » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:18 am

Hi, I've just sent you an email with the download instructions, I apologize for the delay. Usually our system is automated, but for some reason your download email apparently was never sent. I apologize again.
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Previous

Return to PRO Software