A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Dual Boot Windows 7 - Windows Vista - and/or Windows XP

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Re: Dual Boot Windows 7 - Windows Vista - and/or Windows XP

Postby albchong » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:28 am

Mmm. That should've worked. One of the other guys who are watching this thread may have some ideas. The only other option would be to invest in a third party boot manager such as DualBootPRO ;)
PROfessional Member

Postby Destryky » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:38 pm

albchong wrote:Mmm. That should've worked. One of the other guys who are watching this thread may have some ideas. The only other option would be to invest in a third party boot manager such as DualBootPRO ;)

Okay, I have DualBootPro 1.1, how do I use it to solve my problem?
PRO New Member

Postby albchong » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:54 pm

Dear Destryky,

Please forgive my delayed response and not personally writing out the details of using Dual Boot...

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_vist ... _guide.htm

...The above URL links to a tutorial on how dual boot can be used to host two operating systems on the same computer.

Let me know how you get on.

Regards,

Albert
PROfessional Member

Postby albchong » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:55 pm

Looking at the content page, it would appear section 6 is the one that you need.

Good luck.
PROfessional Member

Postby Littlewoods » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:30 pm

Hi I have used OSL2000 for many years and until now never had a problem and wonder if anyone has any idea's. I installed Win7 on 1 partition and win7 64bit on the second partition, installed OSL2000 rebooted and registered it which reports back saying that it has been registered. When I reboot however I get a message saying " Version mismatch (old or invalid boot module detected) reinstall OSL2000 again". I have tried several times without success has anyone any ideas as to what is going on please.
PRO New Member

Postby shreader » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:05 pm

You don't need OSL2000 to dual boot w/ Windows 7.
Windows 7 has its own built-in boot manager.

For tweaking the boot items I prefer DualBootPRO, it works great ^*^
Software Director

Postby Littlewoods » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:47 am

Hi shreader thanks for getting back to me. I realise that Win 7 has it's own dual boot manager but I found that certain software installed on both partitions instead of just 1. With OSL2000 they are completely independant of each other which is what I need. I have never had this problem before and am at a loss as to what "version mismatch or old invalid boot module" means. I have contacted OSL2000 but they have not replied which is rather rude as I have a legitimate licenced copy of OSL2000 and they claim they are always willing to help.I have searched the intenet for information on this problem but am unable to find anything and was hoping someone on the forum may have had a similar problem. If anyone can throw any light on this matter it would be very much appreciated. :bashhead
PRO New Member

Postby Littlewoods » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:44 pm

Hi shreader Just to let you know I have sorted the problem. Somehow the bios became corrupted and after shorting out the motherboard cmos with the jumper and rebooting all is now working OK. Thanks for reading the post and replying. ^*^
PRO New Member

Postby shreader » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:01 pm

NP Littlewoods,
Way to go :yesnod:
I am glad you got it fixed how you like it.
Software Director

Postby Tronar » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:52 pm

Hi.

Unfortunately I ran into the exact same problem as Littlewoods.

I successfully installed a fresh Windows 7 parallel to my old Windows Vista (which wasn't tolerable towards the end anymore, but I wanted to keep it for several purposes).

First I used Acronis OS Selector to switch between the two, but that program is really dangerous, which I found out the hard way. To make a long story short, I had to use the Windows 7 Installation disk several times to repair an unbootable system and in addition it rendered my external USB harddrive (for backup purposes) completely unreadable by killing all the partitioning information.
I got that issue solved by buying a great partition recovery utility, but decided to uninstall OS Selector for good (which of course rendered my system again unbootable, but I was already experienced in solving that issue by then :-) ). I can only warn people to use that tool. Googling will bring you plenty of hits with people having lost important data because of this badly written piece of software.

So I looked for alternatives and stumbled across OSL2000 Boot Manager. It got several recommendations on sites comparing boot managers and looked exactly like what I needed.

Taking up no space on the harddrive (it doesn't install itself into its own primary partition like many boot managers do, nor does it install itself onto an existing partition) by just using a little code in the MBR sounded great. I don't need any fancy graphics to select the OS I want to boot next, so I am good with the DOS like interface. It also allows the automatic hiding of other primary partitions, so I could maintain my completely independent two primary Windows Partitions as I did before. Perfect.

So after using it for a while, I wanted to register the software (to pay the developer for his work and to get rid of the little nag screen).

And then I ran into the exact same issue as Littlewoods. I started the setup.exe in C:\OSL2000, clicked on register, entered the code and got the message that registration was successful (only through a so called secondary server though, the primary had produced a connection time-out) and I had to reboot the computer to finish the registration process.

And so I did. Only to end up in front of a big read warning message saying:
--------------------------------------------------------
Registration Error

Version mismatch (old or invalid boot module detected).
To register, please visit www.osloader.com, download a
fresh copy of OSL2000, install it first and then register.

If you need further help, please visit www.osloader.com and
click on the [Support] button. We are eager to help you.
--------------------------------------------------------

So I started up Windows 7 again, downloaded a fresh copy of OSL2000 again (which was again version 9.27 Platinum), installed it, registered it again (again only the secondary server responded), got a success message and thought I would be good now, but ended up again in front of the same problem.

So I tried all kinds of other stuff. I un-installed the OSL2000 boot manager, deleted the directory, rebooted, overwrote the MBR with a standard MBR to make sure to rid of any remnants etc. etc.

In the end NOTHING WORKED.

So I send a message to the publisher. Once through his support form on the website (including my order id to get "priority support") and later again using the eMail address specified in the registration eMail I had received from Share-It!/MyCommerce (the registration service).

Apparently he hasn't changed his MO, because like Littlewoods I didn't get any response so far. (The developer also hasn't responded to a question I had sent to him several weeks ago).

The weird thing is, this support forum is the only hit I got at all when googling my problem. Seriously, if you enter
osl2000 old or invalid boot module detected
into the google, the only useful hit is this forum. If you put "old or invalid boot module detected" in quotation marks, you literally only get on hit.

So I am wondering now, how the BIOS has anything to do with the issue, since it looks like Littlewoods got his problem solved this way. It seems to make sense that the program writes something into the BIOS, because I completely rewrote the MBR and was puzzled how anything could be left in there.

Any help would be appreciated. Especially since the nag screen seems to take longer and longer to go away with every reboot of the computer.

I also want to let other people know who might be running into this problem, that "OSL Corp." didn't respond to a customer back in January 2012 (according to Littlewoods) and seems to stick to that kind of "service" in February 2013. Maybe you should look for an alternative boot loader, before throwing money at them.

I will try to erase my BIOS (great, what kind of hoops you have to jump through nowadays to solve problems that software causes that wasn't even cheap in the first place) and if that gets the "old boot module" erased, so be it. If not, I will ask the registration service for a full refund. Maybe that gets the guy to respond to my problem.
PRO New Member

PreviousNext

Return to Windows Boot Problems