A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

removable drives

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

removable drives

Postby davejm » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:33 pm

I have two installations of windows 7 each on a separate sata drive in master slave configuration. The intention was to have one as a back up to the other in case of a drive failure (it happens) without resorting to mirrored RAID. They are in removable caddies. I made the mistake of loading windows 7 on the second drive whilst the first drive was still in the machine so I now have the boot manager appearing on start up to select booting in to either drive.
Ideally I want to remove one drive from the PC but removing either drive results in an error message that equates to can’t find operating system. Can I remedy this using DualBootPro or I am doomed to live with this situation or start with new independent installations from scratch.

Regards
davejm
PRO New Member

Re: removable drives

Postby shreader » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:38 pm

My main rig has 3 internal drives & 2 external drives, all SATA.
The external drives are plugged in the top of the PC case (TOC) as it came w/ jacks for that, incl. power & data connections.
If the TOC drives will boot seperatly & can be unplugged by using the taskbar "safely eject media..." button it seems like one could also just use a eSATA drive w/ power for what you want to do.
Of course you'll need to have the "Boot" files on it if you decide to remove the internal drive or it fails.
Software Director

Return to Windows Boot Problems