A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Dead PSU??/ MB power connection correct?

Dead PSU??/ MB power connection correct?

Postby musksnipe » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:51 pm

I was given a dead pc. It's an HP Slimline s3301f. I'm pretty sure it has a dead power supply.
When I got it home, it would not start. I flipped the voltage switch back and forth a couple of times, plugged the cord back in, and it started.
On, off a couple of times and then nothing. Little LED on the PSU comes on, but PSU fan doesn't spin. Front PSU vent (inside) nearly closed, with nicotine sticky dust.
Actual case vents aren't terribly bad and neither is the CPU fan/heat sink.
My guess is the PSU died from heat. There was sticky dust, between the fan blades and vent, possibly enough to stop it from spinning.
So I saw a couple of slimline PSU prices, while looking around. Didn't like the prices. so I thought, what about a new case and PSU combo?
I found a nice case, PSU incuded. I know it's only 200watt, but the HP one is only 160. I think everything will fit well. And it has a case fan, the HP doesn't.
My concern is: Will the PSU connector in the new case, fit the HP board???
This is the the PC. http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/Te ... =c01297156
This is the HP mother board, http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/Te ... =c01321559
and this is the new case and power supply, I want to use, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811108396
I'm confused. The connection description for power to the board, are different on the two pages and I don't have the hands on experience with these small boards. Will that power supply fit the HP board?
The HP says mini-power connector, the psu says 20+4 connector, but the case 'is for the mini-ITX boards.
Did they leave out mini ??? Are there normal sized power connections on some mini-ITX boards?
Or will the two power connections mate?
This is off the HP specs:
Internal Connectors
One 2 x 12 mini power connector
Two SATA connectors
One 4-pin 12v PC fan connector
One 9-pin header for power button, reset button, power LED, and HDD LED
One SPDIF digital audio output connector
One 9-pin audio header for headphone-out (yellow, Vista capable, requires matching front audio jack, no mic-in support)
Three USB 2.0 headers supporting 6 USB ports
One jumper for resetting BIOS settings
One jumper to disable BIOS password checking

This is off the new case/psu description:
With Power Supply:
Yes, Standard TFX 12V IP-S200DF1-0
PSU Main Connector:
20+4Pin
Motherboard Compatibility:
Mini-ITX

Power Supply:

Connectors:
1 x Main connector (20+4Pin)
1 x 4 Pin +12V CPU
1 x Peripheral
3 x SATA
1 x Floppy
Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it. - John Lennon
TOSHIBA Satellite A665-Intel Core i7 740QM - Too lazy to build a PC for myself. But, one of these days........
PRO Level 2

Re: Dead PSU??/ MB power connection correct?

Postby JabbaPapa » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:52 pm

musksnipe wrote:I was given a dead pc. It's an HP Slimline s3301f. I'm pretty sure it has a dead power supply.

There's no guarantee either that this is the basic problem, nor that it is the only problem.

I'd recommend testing as many components as possible in conjunction with hardware that you know to be working, rather than just assuming that most components work.

Your gut feeling is *probably* right -- but tests that cost nothing but time are always better than gambles that cost money !! :yesnod:
PRO VETERAN

Re: Dead PSU??/ MB power connection correct?

Postby musksnipe » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:44 pm

You must be married to my wife's sister. ^*^ She convinced me to take it to the little shop I go to for parts, if I don't want to order them off line.
So tomorrow I'll have the psu tested. I have spare good RAM and working HDD's and DVD drives, so that leaves the motherboard.
From the looks of things tobacco smoke clogged the intake on the psu. There is no case fan, so that pulls the air through the case. It had a wad between the blades and the vent, with the vent nearly closed off.

As for the connector issue, there is an adapter made, so it is possible the new psu IS standard. From the little I looked at, I get the impression, there are small sized psu's with standard connectors and psu's, specifically with just the 'micro' connectors.

I'm ignoring the motherboard for now. :whistle I can always buy another and still be ahead. The PC was free, so $50 case/psu+$50 motherboard would still be a $100 dual core. :drool:
Not looking to keep this, just thinking I know a couple of people, who can't afford buying new and this would be cheap enough for them to have a 'new' pc and for me to pick up a couple of bucks.
Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it. - John Lennon
TOSHIBA Satellite A665-Intel Core i7 740QM - Too lazy to build a PC for myself. But, one of these days........
PRO Level 2

Return to Hardware and Customizing