A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Disappearing hard drive

Disappearing hard drive

Postby mooseantlers » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:44 pm

Having and odd issue that has started recently.

Have ASUS P5W DH Deluxe moboard. Have 3 SATA drives plugged in (not in raid), an older IDE drive and a 2tb USB drive. Within the couple of months, my copy of WinXP became corrupted & did a full reinstall.

When i'm not using my computer, I normally put it in standby mode. I've been doing it for years with this same beast and all was well; at least until now. Whenever I boot (or have to reboot), the IDE drive is fully available (shows it's operating properly). When I bring it out of standby mode, it's as if the drive has vanished. There's not even a reference to it being connected.

If it's an aging issue, I suppose it's okay to get rid of it. I'm surprised it's lasted this long.

Any help is appreciated!
PRO Level 4

Re: Disappearing hard drive

Postby augie » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:07 pm

Have you installed any updates since? You might have missed a setting or two after the re-install.(not sure) My experience having IDE and SATA drives never could make them work together as my similar mobo ASUS P5Q Pro never wanted to boot to SATA. I can't say if the IDE is the culprit but to diagnose properly, you have to re-install XP on the SATA after disconnecting the IDE. I've donated my IDE's since they're still working but not in my setup.

I've always had standby issues through many machines and never use it anymore. It's not a solution but it works for me. Sorry I can't help you more.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Re: Disappearing hard drive

Postby yeshuas » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:41 pm

I have one of those P5W deluxe and had same issue out of standby/sleep mode, like Algis I just stopped using standby
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Return to Hardware and Customizing