A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

AMD Retention Bases-Socket AM2

AMD Retention Bases-Socket AM2

Postby musksnipe » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:07 pm

I just got back my old faithful dual core, that I sold a couple of years ago. The lady I sold it to said, it made a noise and went dead. Wouldn't even get to the BIOS screens. I went over and opened it up. The heatsink was no longer attached. It had broken the holding point on one side. I'm not sure if there is any other damage yet. Waiting on the new base to arrive.
What made me take notice is, I had never heard of this. In searching for the new base I came across several comments about this happening to others. Maybe they are reaching the age, where they are showing this defect.
Anyway, I would check your bases for any sign of weakening if you have a board that has an AM2 slot and uses this type of retention base.
The link is the replacement. The originals are black. Mine was on an HP board (ASUS)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835119120
Just a heads up, because I can see this possibly damaging parts, if it let's go and pops up with any force, while power is on. :whistle
Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it. - John Lennon
TOSHIBA Satellite A665-Intel Core i7 740QM - Too lazy to build a PC for myself. But, one of these days........
PRO Level 2

Re: AMD Retention Bases-Socket AM2

Postby augie » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:26 pm

Wow, I know you didn't abuse that rig by throwing it against the wall in a fit of frustration even though you must have at times. :whistle :lol: Crap happens to everyone I guess. I just hope the CPU thermally shutdown before it burnt up. :yesnod:
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Re: AMD Retention Bases-Socket AM2

Postby musksnipe » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:15 pm

I don't throw Pc's against the wall. I just drop them off the end of the dock. Less mess that way. :whistle
I'm hoping the same, augie. Fans all fire up, and it attempted to start, but went black, with no messages. That was before I opened the case and saw a heatsink sitting funny. Darn holiday slowed the UPS, but the base should be here today. Hoping I can swap out the upper part, without pulling the board.
I have a PC lined up to work on Thursday, too. I guess bragging about about that DelHP on FB, got me a little work.
A few more and I will get to go to another Lions game. ^*^
Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it. - John Lennon
TOSHIBA Satellite A665-Intel Core i7 740QM - Too lazy to build a PC for myself. But, one of these days........
PRO Level 2

Return to General Tech Chat