A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Windows 8 Developers Preview download info.

Re: Windows 8 Developers Preview download info.

Postby JabbaPapa » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:41 am

Making one last attempt with this setup before reinstalling -- I reverted to the graphics driver that came with it, as the overheating is most likely to be the graphics card given the symptoms ; and I've installed the Vista/W7 audio driver specific to the mobo, to try and work around the audio problems.
PRO VETERAN

Postby shreader » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:10 am

Though I'm not a Apple fan, still very sad news & @ such a young age.
RIP Steve Jobs
--------------------

Daniel, did you ever get WDP w/ tools installed?

I've been playing w/ it a bit in VMware & found the "Microsoft.Windows.Simulator.exe" file in a drill down in Program Files (x86).
I pinned a copy to task bar & run it from there.
There are several buttons to test that work, if one has a touch screen there are a few buttons for that too.

Here is a thumbnail of what happens when one presses the rotate button, note the tools on the wdo. rt. side.
Also note the shortcuts on the original window are also in the Simulator window.
Software Director

Postby yeshuas » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:49 am

The disc seemed to burn, but it is not bootable nor readable, so nope to getting it installed.

Not sure when I will have time to mess with WDP w/tools or trying to get it installed.

My wife and I are moving to a new home, and the associated tasks, work and everything else sorta puts that on the back burner, but in a week or so maybe I will give it a go (-:
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby shreader » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:23 pm

Someone leaked the "WindowsDeveloperPreviewOnlineSetup.exe" file that was used for last weekends: Private "Win Developer Preview Install Fair"

I snagged a copy & ran it in Windows 7 x86 (it Dl the x86 flavor) & last night I ran it again in VMware > Windows 8 DP x64 (it Dl the x64 flavor), amazingly it's still working.

I saved the installation media as an .iso also flash drive is a choice too.

I installed the x86 flavor yesterday on a test rig & was happy to find-out that it appears to have a few bugs fixed among other changes even though the build # is still 8102.
Besides creating the install media it also created a desktop shortcut: "Install Windows", I didn't run that as I ran the Dl.exe from the Main Rig & really don't want the hassle of possibly messing something up there w/ a pre-beta build.
Also there are many new folders & files added to the "C" drive, running a earlier restore point doesn't remove them :-x

The Dl includes a product key but none is required to install the OS or activate it, I found out.

One of the 8-9 windows one sees
Software Director

Postby yeshuas » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:06 pm

i'll have to see if I can find a copy and run it through it's paces
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby JabbaPapa » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:57 pm

I've temporarily set aside the W8 DP as a main OS, the ATi Catalyst drivers available just can't hack it ... :x

3D rendering in the currently available drivers simply isn't fully featured, so any 3D apps (aka games) can just freeze on you.

Otherwise, at least I worked out the main source of the problems I was having -- which was the usual thing I always check last instead of first, ie dust in the GPU fan :embarrassed: :lol:

Far as I can tell, some balls of dust got lodged in there when I put in the HDD I'm using for W8 ... whooops :uhhh
PRO VETERAN

Postby jbullard » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:58 pm

So I downloaded and attempted using W8 DP but have to say that overall I am not impressed. In fact, it just seems like MS took a bunch of their application GUI's and threw it together for this. I've heard rumors that when the RC comes out one can stay within the MetroUI and never have to go to the desktop UI but there haven't been rumors of the opposite. The ribbon UI they use for explorer is actually the 2007 ribbon UI and not the 2010 ribbon UI. To me, the use of the ribbon UI in explorer really diminishes the overall design, IMO.

All I can say is I hope that the RC is far better than what they have out so far. On another note, I am looking into the UEFI situation with DBP. I dont think it will be an issue but I am using W7 and not W8. :yesnod:
VP - Software

Postby JabbaPapa » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:09 pm

jbullard wrote:So I downloaded and attempted using W8 DP but have to say that overall I am not impressed. In fact, it just seems like MS took a bunch of their application GUI's and threw it together for this. I've heard rumors that when the RC comes out one can stay within the MetroUI and never have to go to the desktop UI but there haven't been rumors of the opposite. The ribbon UI they use for explorer is actually the 2007 ribbon UI and not the 2010 ribbon UI. To me, the use of the ribbon UI in explorer really diminishes the overall design, IMO.

The DP is a bit of a red-headed stepchild, sure Jason -- but to be fair, W8 is based on two parallel UI approaches, Vista/W7 and Metro. And that's not even mentioning the command line UI provided in some Windows Server installations. Each is useful in its own area.

It's some quite brilliant design work, IMO, that a single OS can have these multiple UI approaches -- though I've yet to really play with Ribbon Explorer, because it's disabled in the classic non-Metro UI that I was using.

It's very frustrating personally that some crappy ATi drivers are preventing me using this as my main OS (gaming crashes are the *only* serious negative I've come across), but it's a gaming GPU and I'm just not enough in pocket ATM to get whichever nVidia card would be likely to solve that problem :(
PRO VETERAN

Postby JabbaPapa » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:55 am

hmmmmm, AMD have released some ATi Catalyst drivers for Windows 8, that you can grab straight off their main drivers download page.

So I'm giving this another shot !!!

---

Bad news so far is that the Opera x64 Alpha build released couple weeks ago simply causes W8 to crash on my computer --- violently !!! :shocked:

I'll test the gaming on it tomorrow. Hopefully performance will be better with these drivers than 2 months ago...
PRO VETERAN

Postby JabbaPapa » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:54 am

Well, first impressions of these new drivers are good -- be a few days before I'll be certain, but the 3D gaming seemed stable enough this morning anyway.

Definitely back to this as my Main OS again, which could only change if these drivers borked on me again ;)
PRO VETERAN

PreviousNext

Return to Alpha / Beta Software