A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Windows 8 Developers Preview download info.

Re: Windows 8 Developers Preview download info.

Postby yeshuas » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:31 pm

was your machine 64 bit, if not that is the problem
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby shreader » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:10 pm

Yes it is, all my rigs now days are 64 bit.
I tried using 2 - flavors of W8 DP = x86 & x64, bot failed..
The x86 worked fine earlier on the "My Passport" external drive, its has a ton-of-space though.

I couldn't get the b7989 (host) activated, doesn't seem like it should matter only a day later.
Software Director

Postby yeshuas » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:46 pm

That is odd. JD

I have tried burning the 64 bit with tools to a dbl layer disc, and get a I/O error, so I am going to download it again to see if that helps.

I have burned dual layer discs before, maybe try slowing burn speed too, might try 2.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby yeshuas » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:07 pm

Not sure which solved my issue with burning the disc, because I downloaded WDP again and slowed burn speed to 2X, I didn't get error message and it finished burning ISO to the disc
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby shreader » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:45 pm

Congrats on getting it burned Daniel ^*^

I accidentally grabbed the wrong disk (the Dl w/ tools one) when doing a W8 DP install & my reader tried to install it anyway. It got almost completely installed then started erring as that rig didn’t have a Dl reader.
Software Director

Postby kd1966 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:33 pm

I downloaded the Win8 Beta preview a week ago or so and ran a VM using VirtualBox. Reading your experiences, I saw plenty of similarities with my own. After playing around with it for several days and showing some co workers I've come to the conclusion I don't like it very much. I'm guessing it will be more stable and the functions will work better when it's finalized, but unless you have this incredible urge to touch your screen/monitor (Or tablet), I don't see the point. Maybe MS can drive new sales for 19" and larger touchscreen monitors with this, but otherwise, naaah.
PRO PLATINUM

Postby yeshuas » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:18 pm

Well it burned the disc, because you can see that something is there, but you can't access it at all,
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby JabbaPapa » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:33 am

Well, a little over two weeks of using this as my Main OS, and it's finally starting to show some signs of instability.

The basic desktop, and GUI, and Explorer, and other basic file management and interface functions all seem to be solid ; but when I'm gaming, the W8 has started to sometimes just switch off ; not crash, but it simply turns the computer off.

And it also seems that the extremely poorly implemented audio management policies that Microsoft created during development of Longhorn are still present in W8 ; as they are in Vista, 2k8, and W7. The drivers most likely to break down during any work session of the Longhorn generation of Windows are the audio drivers ; and the drivers most likely to cause lagging and stuttering in the graphics interface or during gaming etc are the audio drivers.

Except it's not really the drivers, it's the audio implementation policy that was devised by Microsoft and whichever individual partner (can't remember which), that the vast majority of audio hardware manufacturers were not invited to contribute towards during the design phase of Longhorn, which even so many years later continues to cause stability problems... :x

I have certainly witnessed both GUI lag and stuttering of this kind in W8 with simultaneous audio systems failure (not actually preventing audio playback though).

Adding to these woes, my stupid neighbour's chronic vandalism with the electricity here, by regularly overcharging the circuit breaker from using his electric barbecue and so on, have caused some damage to my internet router which is now working at 25% downstream capacity :-x :-x :-x (it's less of a mystery to me now how his own computer system can be in such a dismally poor shape), so that potentially some of the problems I'm now having could be due to damaged data on my hard drives :-x --- the instability I refer to and the audio problems are not directly related to this electrical maniac IMO, but the strange shutdowns might be...
PRO VETERAN

Postby shreader » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:41 pm

Fire-up the Feedback tool & let them know this is a Show-Stopper.

I believe it was Creative that during the Vista days that wouldn't make new drivers for their cards until after Vista was released & then only for new cards & people w/ older cards had to buy new ones! I wonder if that's what they'll do again for W8.

Sounds like my neighbor-from-hell, but worse. It's his world & I'm only a pawn... he thinks.
Software Director

Postby JabbaPapa » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:30 pm

The machine is overheating in W8, but behaving well in W7, so I think this is probably a drivers problem.

Gonna have to reinstall W8 I think...

Don't think it's a showstopper LOL, it's an Alpha version :silly:

-- besides, I can't be sure that these electrical failures haven't caused I/O errors on the system drive, so a bug report would be a little iffy by any standards...
PRO VETERAN

PreviousNext

Return to Alpha / Beta Software