A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Windows 8 developer build

Windows 8 developer build

Postby bluc » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:32 am

Hey all first post just wondering if you plan to support windows 8 developer build in dual boot configs?
PRO New Member

Re: Windows 8 developer build

Postby JabbaPapa » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:52 am

Apparently, you need to create a separate partition for W8, and then with your current Windows running, insert your W8 DVD, and launch setup from there ; as normal.

This should give you the option to clean install W8 into the new partition, and should automatically create your dual boot setup.

You should then be able to use DualBootPRO to edit your boot menu preferences, and select which Windows is your default OS.

I'm not at all certain that popping the DVD in and restarting your computer to boot from DVD will provide that option, though I'm sure some other people may have tested that.
PRO VETERAN

Postby JabbaPapa » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:24 pm

hmmmmm, I've been trying to set up a W7/W8 dual boot and failing (I had a partial success at one point, then messed it up :( )-- it seems as if the boot environments are not entirely compatible.

It seems as though, when it's "working" (as in its current implementation, anyway), you boot into a W8 boot environment, which then lets you select which version you want -- and if you choose W7 the machine reboots, and goes into W7.

I don't know about DualBotPRO, but using VistaBootPRO (its predecessor) in the W7 screwed up the boot environment leaving me unable to boot into W8, but W7 only.

Basically - dual booting appears to be bugged, and just personally I haven't been able to find a good workaround. Perhaps others have had more luck ? :question
PRO VETERAN

Postby shreader » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:28 pm

I have noticed also that after installing the W8 DP (x86 & x64) that when I choose W7 using the MS boot environment the PC restarts & boots into W7, same as you Julian.
When changing the default OS in DBP to W7 & restarting the PC the black & white boot menu shows up along w/ the Earlier OS (XP) entry.

Definitely the MS W8 DP boot app needs some more work.

*DP = Developer Preview

My dual booting is working fine w/ Vista x86, W7 x64, W8 x64 & x86.
Even XP Pro will boot whan using the b&w boot menu.
Software Director

Postby bluc » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:31 pm

I have it installed on seperate hdd but I cant get it working properly. It will only boot into windows 8 with the windows installation disc in the drive and am looking for a way to fix it up properly was hoping dualboot pro would work. I have only seen the boot option screen once, I read to set windows 7 as the default os and ever since have only been able to boot into windows 8 without the disc in the drive.
PRO New Member

Postby shreader » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:01 am

Do you get this window to select which OS to choose?
Software Director

Postby bluc » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:25 am

No.
PRO New Member

Postby yeshuas » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:29 am

shreader wrote:Image

That is the menu I get, excpt I have Windows Developer Preview, then Windows 7 X86, and then Windows 7 X64
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby JabbaPapa » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:19 am

shreader wrote:Image

When it was "working", that's what I had yes.

Seems the old VBP screwed mine up ; though I'm glad to hear DBP is working ^*^

Think I'm going to try an old Longhorn setup trick, install W7 in the W8 partition ; then install W8 from in there...
PRO VETERAN

Postby JabbaPapa » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:21 pm

OK, succeeded -- finally !!

---

It's pretty finicky.

Basically, Wx/W8 dual booting can be set up to work properly IF you already have a dual or multi boot system installed, using the VI/7 OS boot system.

Otherwise, well, pot luck...

Here's how I did it :

0) Obtain a good W8 DVD

1) Install a second copy of W7 (Vista or 2008 would work just as well), on a new partition and/or hard drive

(the ONLY purpose here is to create a dual boot system using BCD Store)

2) Use VBP/DBP to edit the boot menus appropriately (this can be done later, but it's important to do so in VI/2k8/7 -- NOT 8) -- why now ? well, this is the only stage where it's completely risk-free.

3) reboot, with the W8 DVD in the drive, and install W8 into the desired partition

(this will create the current W8 multiboot environment, where booting into a different Windows version is controlled by W8)

4) In the W8 boot screen, select "Change defaults or use other options", and select VI/2k8/7 as your default OS -- this will restore the legacy VI/2k8/7 boot menu

4b) you will need to test it if "Older Operating System" AKA XP will work as a valid OS choice in this scenario, sorry :angel:

5) Boot into VI/2k8/7, and use VBP/DBP to choose which OS as default, change order of display OS, and etc as normal

(be conservative here, I've already seen VBP messing up boot simply because I was being overzealous, and basically misusing it)

---

Hope this helps !!! :doc
PRO VETERAN

Return to General Windows Support