A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

How to dualboot WinXP-32bit and Win7-64bit, keeping them tot

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

Re: How to dualboot WinXP-32bit and Win7-64bit, keeping them tot

Postby idhc.2211 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:59 am

Hello to all. Just registered and this is my first log-in and first posting.

My question: When I have two SATA HDD, two 64-bit OS's, and one computer, how do I install one OS (which will default to installing to the "C" drive), and then install the other OS (which will also default to installing to the "C" drive)?

Some background/details: Due to a death in the family, I now own an HP dc5700 microtower PC with XP Pro SP-3 (64 bit) installed on a 320GB SATA HDD. At about the same time I had been planning on building my own PC, so I also own a 1 TB SATA HDD and Windows 7 Ultimate (came with both 32 and 64 bit disks; I would like to use the 64 bit version). The computer owner's manual indicates that the MOBO will support these two SATA HDD, so I have installed both. Both are recognized and both work. So far, as good. There is nothing on either HDD which I cannot live without or re-load. I have all original, licensed software DVDs or CDs.

At the present time, I can dual boot by going into the BIOS every time I boot and making a small change, saving my change, and waiting for the computer to finish booting up.

There MUST be a simplier way to dual boot my computer!

I would like to have XPP (XP Pro) on the 320GB HDD and Win7 on the 1TB HDD, without partitioning either HDD.

Here is what I was thinking of doing. I have not yet done any of these steps. Any input - Grav!ty, are you listening??? - would be HUGELY appreciated! Thank you!
1. Unplugging the Win 7 1TB HDD.
2. Wiping the 320GB HDD.
3. Re-installing XPP on the 320GB HDD.

Here is where I'm not sure how to proceed. The default drive for XPP installation from the DVD is the "C:" drive.

4. Unplugging the 320GB HDD.
5. Wiping the Win 7 1TB HDD.
6. Re-plugging in the 320GB HDD.
7. Re-installing Win 7 on the 1TB HDD.

Seems too complicated, and I'm the guy dreaming it up! Can anyone help? Thank you!
PRO New Member

Postby yeshuas » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:58 am

if you are going to reinstall, I would plug both HD's in wipe the 320 GB drive and install XP, then wipe the 1TB drive and install Windows 7. Doing the installs in the order I said will automatically create a dual boot menu, as long as both drives are plugged in and installed in the system during the installs.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby idhc.2211 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:02 pm

Hello Yeshuas,
Thank you for your reply. I will attempt the steps you have outlined. Your reply causes me other questions, however. I have two SATA HDDs; I wish to use both and have a different OS on each HDD.

My additional questions:
If I install XP, won’t it install to the C: drive? (Is it even possible to “direct” XP to install to another HDD?) If I then install Win7, won't it also install to the C: drive (in other words, installing "over" (i.e., wiping out) the previously installed XP)?

How do I resolve this? Thanks again.....
PRO New Member

Postby yeshuas » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:19 pm

when you are going through the install process you are given a choice as to where you want to install the OS to. when you install XP choose the 320 GB drive, then when you install Windows 7 choose the 1TB drive. I would also delete any partitions and format each drive with its respective OS e.g 320 gb drive with XP and 1TB drive with Windows 7
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby idhc.2211 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:47 pm

Thank you. If I ain’t got it by this time, I ain’t never gonna get it! I’ll let you know in a future posting (probably in a day or two, based on how busy I get) how it went. (Wish me luck!)

Your consideration and thoughtfulness in your replies is MUCH appreciated! Thanks again.
PRO New Member

Re: How to dualboot WinXP-32bit and Win7-64bit, keeping them

Postby Sullivan29 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:49 am

You can run Win7 64-bit and XP 32-bit as a dual boot. To do this boot from the Win7 DVD and "press any key" when prompted in order to boot from the DVD. During the install process select custom/advanced and choose your new 250 GB hard drive as the target for the Win7 install. At this point you can partition and format that drive as you wish. When the Win7 installation completes, anytime you boot the PC, right after the Bios screen appears you will see a black boot screen offering you the choice of Win7 and "previous operating system" to select from by using the up/down arrows on your keyboard. I believe the default time allowed is 30 seconds. After you are booted in Win7 you can change the amount of time if you like.
NOTE: I think I remember that dual booting Vista and XP together caused a problem with the Vista back-ups and re-store points. I haven't heard anything yet about a similar problem dual booting Win7/XP. If it does cause a problem I'd think twice about dual booting XP/Win7 because one of the nice improvements of Win7 is an included program to create complete system images of the (C:) drive so you can re-store your PC from a system image you saved on either a separate hard drive, DVDs or USB drive.

Updates to either O.S. will only occur when you are booted to that system.
PRO New Member

Previous

Return to PRO Software