A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Dual Boot confusiion

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Dual Boot confusiion

Postby gordoncanada » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:07 pm

Hello. Thank you for the great utility. I've used Dual Boot Pro for years and just ugraded to version 1.1.

I have an odd problem. Because I got a new computer, I unplugged the Hard Drives from my old computer and put the original Hard Drive back into my HPm7350n that has XP installed from an image. It booted up perfectly. Then I put another Hard Drive in and installed Vista from with XP and was able to dual boot Vista and XP. I then put the Hard Drive I had been running Windows 7 from before I got the new computer and added Windows 7 as a boot disk from within Vista using Dual Boot Pro. I could dual boot Vista and Windows 7. However, XP would no longer boot. XP will only boot if I unplug the disk with Windows 7 on it; then XP boots fine and I can dual boot XP and Vista. If I attach the Hard Drive with Windows 7, I can only dual boot Windows 7 and Vista.

What's going on? Is there anything I can do about this?

Thanks, Gordon
PRO New Member

Re: Dual Boot confusiion

Postby yeshuas » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:27 am

How many partitions are there total on the 3 harddrives?

What type of harddrives are they e.g. are they all IDE or SATA or a mix?

Where are these files located, NTDETECT.com ntldr and boot.ini; also need you to copy and paste the boot.ini file here in the forum, probably what is happening, when you install the drive with Windows 7 on it it changes the location of where XP is.

Can you post an image of your Disk Management screen with all 3 drives in, even though you can only boot Vista and Windows 7.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Return to Windows Boot Problems