A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Vista not booting, "bootmgr is missing"

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Re: Vista not booting, "bootmgr is missing"

Postby Robert » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:26 pm

Hi Gravity,

Heres the url link below

http://imageshack.us/content_round.php? ... et&newlp=1

Hope this works

Robert

PS I will get with you asap on the other questions.
PRO Level 2

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:57 pm

Thanks, the image is hardly readable but I can zoom it on my side.

I still need to know if the items I asked about in my previous post (bootmgr and the folder Boot) appear on the root of the hard drive of your old Vista installation.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Robert » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:22 pm

Hi Gravity,
Please explain how to un-hide the two " Bootmgr and folder Boot" files that you requested..

I did not see any boot files or folders under the E drive.
All that I see under the E drive is RECYCLE.BIN, System volume information, Temp, and mbr_backup

Thanks,

Robert
PRO Level 2

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:38 pm

Very weird!

Since you have already set folder options to show hidden files and folders, and not to hide protected operating system files, you should see everything on that drive from Computer or Windows Explorer. Please confirm that all you have on that drive are the items you mention above.

If that is the case, we can go on trying things until the cows all jump over the moon but we will never get the old installation to boot :lol:

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:49 pm

Yep there is no Vista installed on E drive. E drive has a capacity of 48.83 GB and free space of 48.64 GB. Now with Vista requireing at least 8 GB or so, there clearly is no Vista installation on E drive :lol:

PROfessional Member

Postby Robert » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:03 pm

Hi Gravity,

Well, that's all the folders and files that is listed under the E drive as I see it under the explorer tree.
Is there another way to fresh install the files needed to get it to boot? If the needed boot files are missing, is there a way to copy and paste from my recovery disk or my working C drive, those files that are necessary?
Just thought I would ask if that were possible.
Thanks for going the distance with me.
Robert
PRO Level 2

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:11 pm

Nope, Vista is not installed on that drive. If it was at some stage, then somehow all the Windows files and folders and program files and folders have disappeared. I'm afraid you are going to have to install Windows again and reinstall all you programs. There simply is no alternative.

PROfessional Member

Postby Robert » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:28 pm

Hi Gravity,

A "Big thanks" to you on all the help that you have given me. It's totally amazing to me how something so dramatic caused (4) years of data to disapear into thin air. But you know what they say: S------happens.
Well, Thank God it's Friday!!!
Hope you have a great weekend!

Regards,

Robert
PRO Level 2

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:33 pm

All the best to you Robert

Regards
Graham.

PROfessional Member

Previous

Return to Windows Boot Problems