A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Google Search Links redirected to Advertisements

Google Search Links redirected to Advertisements

Postby shreader » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:58 pm

I have noticed lately my Google search links have been going to other sites when I click on them.

So I ran a Combofix scan & Spybot S&D + update scans.

I think I'm good again.

Has anyone else here noticed being redirected by google search links?
Software Director

Re: Google Search Links redirected to Advertisements

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:01 pm

What are you using as installed virus protection?

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby shreader » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:07 pm

previously: MS Security Essentials (free)

Now including SpyBot S&D

What are you using?
Software Director

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:17 pm

Avast (the freebie), has "Web Shield" protection which checks out/scans a website as you open it. Version 6.00 of Avast is in my opinion, better than any other free virus protection and is superior to many paid for ones as well.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:22 pm

I've just tried a google search using the same word you did that gave you the problem, but I have no issues opening many of the search results.

PROfessional Member

Postby shreader » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:29 pm

Thanks Graham.

After the 2- above maleware scans I am back to normal also on that search too, incl the .pdf not redirected anymore either.

Sadly a lot of my cookies were deleted.
Software Director

Postby yeshuas » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:47 pm

I havent had that problem, but when I open I.E. 8 it opens 2 tabs, one being my home page, the other is Google
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby shreader » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:39 pm

Grav!ty wrote:Avast (the freebie), has "Web Shield" protection which checks out/scans a website as you open it. Version 6.00 of Avast is in my opinion, better than any other free virus protection and is superior to many paid for ones as well.

I just dumped MSSE & went w/ Avast! v6 (freebie) also after getting another (7 found) trojan w/ a "Win 7 AntiVirus 2012" scanner :lol:
Sadly it appeared to be a bad link @ DrudgeReport that infected me, it (would) shut down IE9 & the scanner started up.
I ran Malwarebytes anti malware to remove the baddies, think/hope I'm clean now.

Note: I did a custom install of Avast! so as to not have the Avast! gadget added to my sidebar.
Software Director

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:41 pm

Yeah, avast was the only virus scanner that worked on early builds of Longhorn/Vista right through the betas and on the betas of Windows 7. Since then I've used it on and off. The only other that I trust is NOD 32.

The drudgereport eh! :blink

PROfessional Member

Postby Doyling » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:38 am

Just my two bits, I also like using OPEN DNS, they are pretty good about combing for redirects and such. I use Kaspersky Internet Security.I have pretty good luck with it. I sometimes wondering about the internet filtering, it rarely gives any indication of a threat, as compared to AVG which puts the check marks on search results. Still, I am not sure if I like AVG prowling every link, it seems to add a burden to machines running on cell cards and lower end dsl/pots.
PRO New Member

Return to Security & Virus