A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Cannot load profile, loads systemprofile instead

Cannot load profile, loads systemprofile instead

Postby Azjo » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:30 am

Hi

I have problem described here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/suppor ... &LCID=1033

it was caused by my mother who tried to install vista on top of windows 7 (simply because the sata wire was loose.. but anyway)

I have managed to move all files to a new profile, and i assume everything works as it should on that profile.

However i cant believe i cant do this trick on this particular user, it seems to take control over that users folder, and i am trying to rescue remotely so i cant do "offline".
Id like to keep the same username obviously, which is the whole issue here.

I can imagine it is most likely a .dat file or something.. or registry? I cannot overwrite the .dat file, so that one cannot be tested.

Any suggestions how to fix this?
PRO Level 3

Re: Cannot load profile, loads systemprofile instead

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:53 am

It doesn't look like anyone here can help you with this issue Azjo. The only thing I can think of is to try to move those items that you don't seem to be able to move, in safe mode or alternatively to take over the permissions of that file or change the permissions to Administrator.

Here's how to do that:

*Select the file you want to work with. Follow the path, right click>Properties>Security>Add and type Administrator, then Check Names>OK>Full Control>Apply>OK.

* Again select item, right click and go to Properties>Security, and select Administrator in the Group or user names pane>Advanced>Owner>OK>OK

* For a third time select the item, right click and go to Properties>Security select Administrator in the Group or username pane, Advanced>Permissions>Select and type Administrator>Check Names>OK>OK>OK.

I've only ever done this with the Administrator account, but I guess you can try that with any other account.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Re: Cannot load profile, loads systemprofile instead

Postby jbullard » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:09 pm

Azjo,

I do know that in order to delete a .DAT file you must log in as a different user. So there should be no issue if you log in as the Administrator.

Another option is to move all the files you need to via the Administrator account, delete the corrupt user account, and recreate it.

I have seen this issue several times at work where all of our permissions and policies are set by the DC. It will auto-load that system profile and then we have to reboot the system. In rare cases, the profile does become corrupt on the local machine and has to be recreated.
VP - Software

Return to General Windows Support