A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Dual o/s on dual drives. Both see themselves as C

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Re: Dual o/s on dual drives. Both see themselves as C

Postby Grav!ty » Mon May 02, 2011 1:20 am

No, that is not the (System) partition that Windows 7 creates when it is installaed on it's own, it's unallocated freespace on that HDD.

Your boot system files must be on the Vista drive which is the (System) drive. Try booting to safe mode AS ADMINISTRATOR and copying them to the Windows 7 drive - you need to set folder options to see hidden files and folders AND to unhide protected operating system files before you can see them.

It may be that unallocated space which is preventing startup repair from working but it is not possible to get rid of that unallocated space by extending the Win 7 drive because the unallocated space is on the wrong side of the Win 7 partition...it needs to be on the right for extending the partition to work.

What you can try if you are still unable to copy those two items in safe mode (strictly speaking you need to take ownership of them before you can copy them but try in safe mode anyway - if you need instructions on how to take ownership of them let me know).

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby bjones2075 » Fri May 06, 2011 11:13 am

Any details for help at this point would be appreciated.
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Fri May 06, 2011 11:27 am

bjones2075 wrote:I have w7 and w vista each installed on seperate drives and seperate computers. Now both on same computer. I can change the sata wire and boot either from sata 1. I have added DBP in Vista as default and stars fine. I added Win 7 to dual boot pro list but can not start it. I am sure that the problem is that they booth see themselves a C drive. When I start Vista it shows Win 7 as M drive.

Setting the Windows 7 drive as M drive in DBP will not change how Windows 7 sees itself. Have you tried this setting?

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby bjones2075 » Fri May 06, 2011 6:52 pm

Yes. Does not work.
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Fri May 06, 2011 7:08 pm

Somehow I don't think the problem lies with the boot configuration or with the drive lettering, but with the fact that the two drives are from different computers. Different computers have different hardware and different drivers for that hardware. It is rare that an operating system configured for a specific set of hardware will work on a different computer.

Another thing to consider is that your license for whichever operating system comes from the other computer is no longer valid on a different computer.

You can try a fresh install of whichever operating system is from the different computer. It should leave your programs and data intact and will bundle your previous installation into a folder called windows.old. I suggest you backup your data before you do this just in case. By the way, if you follow this suggestion, keep both hard drives connected and a boot menu will be auto created during the reinstall.

Personally, my recommendation is to do a clean install and then reinstall whatever programs you need. It's a matter of a days work considering you've been at this issue for almost a month already.

PROfessional Member

Postby bjones2075 » Fri May 27, 2011 5:27 pm

Success by the following process.

Disconnected the Vista drive sata connection.

Started Windows 7 and loaded DualBootPro on Windows 7 drive. Powered down.

Connected Vista drive. Added Vista drive to DualBootPro. Powered down.

Re-started and both were listed and I was able to boot either correctly.
PRO New Member

Postby bjones2075 » Fri May 27, 2011 5:31 pm

Note: Just to be clear.
In ref. to adding Vista drive to DBP, it was added on the Windows 7 drive.
PRO New Member

Previous

Return to Windows Boot Problems