A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Windows 7 Dual Boot Problem

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Windows 7 Dual Boot Problem

Postby chewy » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:24 pm

Hi,
I am a newbie to this forum but would welcome help with my problem.
I have a dual boot set up with Windows 7 on C drive and H drive both on the same HDD. The reason I have 2 O/S is that one is used by family including grandchildren and the other is used by me for games.
For some unknown reason I cannot boot into H drive. When Windows is initially loading it is listed. It is there in disc management and I can see it on "My Computer" and go into it via Windows Explorer but it won't boot!
It gets as far as the Windows 7 logo and then the screen goes black with a cursor showing. If I leave it for about 30 seconds, a dialogue box appears with the following text:-
"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
Program H:Windows\system32\nvvsvc.exe
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.
OK"
Does anyone know what I can do to overcome this problem?
PRO New Member

Re: Windows 7 Dual Boot Problem

Postby yeshuas » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:42 pm

sounds like you have a virus or similar, several things to try

boot into which ever OS you can, find the NOD32 website and run the online scan of all drives.

then try booting into H, if you get in run NOD32 again to get any virus or trojan .exe files

if you can't get into H after first online run of NOD32, try booting into H in safemode with network and run NOD32, then again if you are able to boot in after it cleans everything
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby chewy » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:19 pm

Hi Yeshuas,
Many thanks for your suggestions. I have run Nod 32, AVG [paid for version], Trend Microand Malwarebytes and none have found any problem!
Another friend suggested it may be something to do with Nvidia so I uninstalled all my Nvidia software/drivers etc and re-booted but exactly the same problem occurred.
Incidentally, I cannot get into safe mode either. When I try, it loads the minimum files and then all I get is the black screen and white cursor but no dialogue box message - just a black screen!
Do you or anyone else have any other ideas?
Thanks for your assistance so far.
PRO New Member

Postby yeshuas » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:16 pm

What I woulld do, which may not be possible for you to do, is remove the video card and if it doesn't have onboard video, replace it with another, preferably not another nVidia

If you could get into Safemode, you could change the resolution to a lower one, do you remember what the resolution was on the H Drive?
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby chewy » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:17 am

Hi yeshuas,
The resolution is 1920 x 1080 which is the recommended setting for my Viewsonic monitor and is the same resolution for C drive. It is of course the same graphics card [XFX GTX 260 Black Edition] for both drives! Both drives have Windows 7 Professional as the operating system. The dual booting has worked fine for over 12 months.
Incidentally, system restore doesn't work either!
It is weird.
I don't understand your line of thought about removing the graphics card. It works fine on C drive and has been a great card.
bye for now,
PRO New Member

Postby yeshuas » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:58 am

I was just thinking maybe you had a higher resolution or some other settings on the side that you play games on and that may be causing the issue and the reason you weren't able to boot into that partion even in safemode.

I make my reccommendations from previous experience's and the error message clearly shows it is something to do with nVidia, whether it be a driver or the graphics card itself, that is what I was trying to determine. When I am having issue which is not often personally, I try everything until the issue is resolved, starting with where the apparent problem seems to be. The error message mentions nVidia, so eliminating nVidia initially seems the correct avenue to follow since you can't get into H even via safemode to uninstall the nVidia driver, even then the best way to uninstall a video driver is to remove the video card at the same time.

If you don't want to remove the card or don't feel safe doing it, (they can be a little tricky so if you do try be careful not to break the retaining clip) anyway if you don't want to remove it keep trying to get into H using safemode it may eventually let you in, and uninstall the video driver and anything nVidia.

Did you uninstall everything nVidai on the drive that you can get into, e.g. the nVidia control panel ???????? If not try that
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Return to Windows Boot Problems