A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

win 7 reinstall vista boot pro problem

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

win 7 reinstall vista boot pro problem

Postby wulf58 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:38 pm

My original installation was Win 7 on drive A, Vista and XP on drive B. All were controlled by Vista BootPro. Problems required a reformat and reinstallation of Win 7 on drive A. When drive B is the primary drive (as original) the boot screen comes up but when I select Win 7 it says there are problems to be fixed. When drive A is the primary drive there is no boot screen and Win 7 boots by itself.

I would like to somehow restore Win 7 to the boot screen (drive B). How can I do this??

Also, I have an upgrade to Dual Boot Pro that I downloaded but never installed. Can I uninstall Vista BP on XP and install Dual BP on and take care of the problem that way??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
PRO New Member

Re: win 7 reinstall vista boot pro problem

Postby yeshuas » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:24 am

A little confused here, are you changing the boot order in the bios or by physically moving the cable order in order to boot from A or B drive?

Which drive shows up as the "System" drive in Disk Management, that drive should have the following files on it Boot.ini NTLDR and NTDETECT and Bootmgr along with the folder Boot with all its contents, in the root directory. In what order did you install the OS's and did you unplug any drive while you were installing any of the OS's

Do you have a partition in Disk Management that is 100MB, you may or may not have if you installed it in order of XP then Vista, then Windows 7

As far as upgrading to DBP that should be fine doing it the way you said.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby wulf58 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:12 pm

Sorry about the confusing first post.

I am changing the "boot order in bios". This allows me to access the vista and xp os via the Vista bootpro boot screen.

The first os was vista, then xp and vista bootpro. later I added a second drive for the win 7 install. Everthing showed up in vista bootpro.

As i mentioned, the win 7 drive had a major problem. I disconnected the drive, reinstalled win 7, then rebooted (after reconnecting the drive). The vista bootpro boot screen comes up but when I select win 7 I get the error message. Vista and XP boot fine. If I change the boot order I boot directly into win 7.

If I uninstall vista bootpro in xp then install dual bootpro will all os's be accessable from the new dual bootpro boot screen??

Also, if I uninstall vista bootpro in xp do I have to reboot prior to installing dual bootpro 1.0??

If I have to reboot will I reboot into XP for the reinstall??

Thanks
PRO New Member

Postby yeshuas » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:03 pm

install DBP along side VBP first,I think it will let you at least
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby wulf58 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:53 pm

Thanks for the response yeshaus, however installing DB Pro alongside VDB did not work.

As a plan B possibility;

I eliminate the current vista and xp os installs. I install a fresh version of xp in the old xp os partition. I update os and install all drivers. I install DB Pro in the new xp os.

Would that give me a DP Pro bot screen with Win 7 and XP os in it??
PRO New Member

Postby yeshuas » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:40 am

Installing XP first and then windows 7 will definitely give you a Dual Boot Screen and a dual boot computer, as long as you do it in the order of XP first and then Windows 7.

If you are going to use multiple Harddrives have them all plugged in during both OS installs.

If you are going to try to just install XP and use a current Windows 7 install then this guide will help you, reformatted-and-reinstalled-xp-lost-boot-to-windows-7-t114759.html

Things in this guide will help you too, dual-boot-trouble-shooting-guide-xp-windows-7-running-t112569.html
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Return to Windows Boot Problems