A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

How do i remove Vista on vista/7 dual drive laptop?

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

How do i remove Vista on vista/7 dual drive laptop?

Postby Andy730 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:35 pm

Hi,

I have a Dell Studio laptop, dual drive that came with Vista Ultimate pre-installed.

I installed Win7 on the second drive and the laptop became a dual boot, and at the time I thought that was the best way to go.

I now find that I no longer use, nor need Vista and would like to use the 2nd drive for storage and backup after formatting it...

I thought that Dualbootpro might help, but I can’t see how to remove the vista option prior to formatting the drive.

How do I remove the dual boot option, and ensure the laptop boots correctly into Win7 before removing Vista totally?

Any advice appreciated..

Cheers..
Cheers,

Andy
PRO New Member

Re: How do i remove Vista on vista/7 dual drive laptop?

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:26 pm

You will need to make backups of the file bootmgr and the folder Boot (plus contents), which you'll find on the root of the drive/partition tagged (System) as per Disk Management and copy them to your Windows 7 drive/partition. It is most likely that your Vista drive/partition is the (System) drive/partition. It's a good idea to also backup your BCD (boot configuration data) using the "Care Center" page of DualBootPRO. Place your backups where they will be easily accessible.

Once you've done that, boot to your Windows 7 DVD and format your Vista drive using Disk Part from the command prompt which you can access from "Repair your computer" at the "Install now" setup screen. Here are some directions on how to use Disk Part on the Windows 7 DVD.

Once you've formatted your drive, reboot your computer and again boot to the Windows 7 DVD. Again at the "Install now" setup screen, select Repair your computer and then select Startup Repair. This will reconfigure your boot configuration and you should be able to boot directly to Windows 7.

Use the "Operating systems" page of DualBootPRO to remove the Vista entry if it still appears.

It's a good idea to create a recovery disc for your system before proceeding with any of the above. Check out the documentation which came with your laptop to see how to do that.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Re: How do i remove Vista on vista/7 dual drive laptop?

Postby Andy730 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:48 pm

OK thanks for that... I'll try this tomorrow morning when i've got some quality time to myself.

I'll post back here when i've tried it... Thanks.
Cheers,

Andy
PRO New Member

Return to Windows Boot Problems