A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Windows 7 installed,need to install XP on second HD

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Windows 7 installed,need to install XP on second HD

Postby peterkss » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:37 pm

After two days of crashes and fixes here is where I am now. I have hard drive (C:)with Windows 7 installed, and a second hard drive (L and K) with two partitions (L and K) , and no operating system.
Can anyone tell me how to install Windows XP and programs on the second hard drive ??? and give me dual boot option (without file editing, copying etc....would be nice) ??
PRO New Member

Re: Windows 7 installed,need to install XP on second HD

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:52 am

If you want to do this "without file editing, copying etc", reformat both hard drives, then install Windows XP first and once you have all your XP drivers installed, install Windows 7. Windows 7 will auto create a dual boot menu.

Do not change your HDD boot priority in your BIOS once you have installed XP and keep both hard drives plugged in throughout the install process. If you don't, you will be back to where you are now.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby peterkss » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:57 pm

I knew in my heart that "If I buy this program it will fix it all" just was too good to be true. Re-installing all the programs on my Windows 7 hard disk also is no fun task. O.K. I give up....What's option number two ??? (By the way, the reason for doing all this is to enable my Kodak dye transfer printer and Canon scanner to do their thing, since the manufacturers no longer support these hardware devices with new device drivers ....NOT RIGHT!!!).
PRO New Member

Postby JabbaPapa » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:27 pm

It may be possible to use XP Mode for Windows 7 to manage those devices.

XP Mode installs a Virtual PC, running XP, onto your computer. It has its limitations, but it almost certainly can be used to run your hardware. Just don't try using it as your main Operating System !! :P

It can be downloaded HERE :

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtua ... nload.aspx
PRO VETERAN

Postby peterkss » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:42 pm

That's an option, but after scanning an item, I need to use it's software to edit, correct and save so I think I am better off with an XP drive dedicated to this task (with appropriate software installed). Thanks.....I'm open to suggestions.

Pete
PRO New Member

Postby shreader » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:55 pm

PROnetworks has a large Guides section.

You might read this guide & although not named exactly what you are doing may still apply:

Install Windows XP in Dual Boot with Pre-Installed Windows 7

also:
Dual Boot Trouble Shooting Guide - XP / Windows 7 Running
Software Director

Return to Windows Boot Problems