A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Cannot boot Window 7 normally

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Cannot boot Window 7 normally

Postby imjohn » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:37 pm

If I allow the boot process to continue normally, I end up with the following:
------------------
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.
To fix the problem:
Boot from the Win7 DVD and use the repair option. (I did this, but no luck.)
File: \windows\system\winload.exe
Status 0XC0000225
The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.
Chose an operating system to start or press TAB to select a tool.
-----------------
The only system offered is Windows VISTA.
My only recourse is to go to the Startup Menu and manually select boot from Hard Disk
and then select my C: drive, It then offers Windows 7, I accept and it boots to 7.
-----------------
I downloaded DualBootPRO 1.1 hoping that it would solve my problem. Here is a copy
of my Boot Information from PRO:
-----------------
There is currently 1 OS(s) installed on your system.
The current boot timeout is: 10

Default OS: Microsoft Windows 7

Entry 1
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name: Microsoft Windows 7
BCD ID: {current}
Boot Drive: C:
Windows Drive: C:
System Bootloader: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows Directory: \Windows
-----------------
After reading another post by Gravity, I checked the C:\Windows\Boot\PCAT directory
and neither Windows 7 nor VISTA were present.
I am uploading a shot of my Disk Management window.

This began happening about a month ago and occasionally I would take the time to look into it.
Now it's really beginning to bug me.
Thanks in advance
Disk Management Shot.jpg
Shot of Disk Management
Disk Management Shot.jpg (228.07 KiB) Viewed 10592 times
for any help offered.
John
PRO New Member

Re: Cannot boot Window 7 normally

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:38 pm

The boot system files (folder Boot plus contents and file bootmgr) need to be on the root of the drive tagged (System) as per your disk management. You need to have folder option set so to "Show hidden files and folders" and so that "Hide protected operating system files" is unchecked.

Of those items are not there, then copy and paste them there.

Once those items are confirmed to be there, use the Operating systems page of DualBootPRO, firstly to check what operating systems are listed. Valid entries are in black, with the default OS entry in blue and invalid entries in red.

Depending on what is listed, add entries and allocate the drive letters you see in disk management. Now got to the System bootloader page of DBP and select "Reinstall Vista/W7 bootloader">All Drives and click Install bootloader. Reboot and test the entries then let us know how you go.

Important: Once you have determined which drive will be your first boot HDD then leave it set as such and do not continually change the first boot HDD as this will screw up the boot configuration.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby imjohn » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:15 pm

Gravity,

The boot system directory and bootmgr file are both shown in the root directory of my C: drive.
I am including a screen shot of the Boot Information Page, the Operating Systems page, and the System Bootloader (with the loader settings that I used without success.)
I stepped though your instructions; however, I had the same problem after a restart.
dual boot info.jpg
dual boot info.jpg (78.91 KiB) Viewed 10562 times
dual boot systems.jpg
dual boot systems.jpg (67.22 KiB) Viewed 10557 times
dual boot loader.jpg
dual boot loader.jpg (62.42 KiB) Viewed 10564 times

The boot loader was not activated this time, It's just set up to show what I did before.
Just wondering, All was the default for the install options . . . I used Specific drive c: Hopefully that was right.
Thanks for your patience,
John
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:49 pm

Now add an entry for Windows Vista and select the drive letter you see for it in Disk Management. Use All Drives when you reinstall the System Bootloader.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby imjohn » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:07 am

Thanks, but I don't have a dual boot system, just windows 7. Why the entry for VISTA?

John
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:11 am

imjohn wrote:Thanks, but I don't have a dual boot system, just windows 7. Why the entry for VISTA?

John

LMAO Then you don't need any entries actually. What I suggest you do with the existing setup is then to change the boot time out to zero on the Operating Systems page of DualBootPRO so that you don't have a menu to have to choose from.

Sorry, but it was the statement of yours below that made me think you were dual booting:
imjohn wrote:The only system offered is Windows VISTA.

PROfessional Member

Postby imjohn » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:44 pm

I appreciate all the help, but it doesn't seem that DualBoot is going to be able to correct my problem.
I'm still getting the following when I try to do a normal boot:
------------------------
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and then click "next."
3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer
manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Info: the selected entry could not be loaded because the application is
missing or corrupt.
---------------------------
I've gone through the Windows repair procedure, mentioned above, several times with no luck.

The only way I can boot into Windows 7 is to hit F12 during the initial splash screen and that takes me
to a menu that allows me to select "Boot from a hard drive", then select the appropriate dirve (C:)

I don't know what else to do; however, I appreciate your assistance and I'm sorry that I have wasted so much of your time.

John (Frustrated)

P.S. I don't know where Windows Repair got the VISTA entry, I assumed that all of VISTA was eliminated when I upgraded to Windows 7.
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:31 pm

John, just go into your BIOS by repeatedly hitting the Del key when you start your system and then change your hard drive priority so that the Windows 7 hard drive is the 1st Boot HDD. Then you needn't hit F12 every time.

PROfessional Member

Postby imjohn » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:46 pm

Hi again Gravity,

I don't have the option of selecting which Hard Drive to boot from in BIOS (Award Ver. F7). I can only select the type of media I want to boot from.
However, I did solve the problem. I removed all my hard drives except for the C: drive and restarted the system.
It booted correctly via the C: drive. I then replaced, one by one, the other three drives and rebooted each time.
Each time it booted into Windows correctly. So I assume the problem is solved.
Thanks for sticking with me through this.
John
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:46 am

Well done John and thanks for letting us know your solution.

PROfessional Member

Return to Windows Boot Problems