A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Google vs. Apple

Google vs. Apple

Postby kanaloa » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:14 pm

Interesting article. I guess I never considered that Google really had copied Apple when it came to the iPhone, but when you look at the models, it's pretty obvious they did just that. :whistle

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11 ... e_ceo.html
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Re: Google vs. Apple

Postby jbullard » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:50 pm

Well, it depends on what part of cloning they are referring to. Is it iOS vs. Android or the iPhone vs. droid phone. I mean, there are some similarities but you could say the same thing about RIM, Windows 7 Mobile, etc. I think they are finally feeling the effects of Android phones and was one reason they opened the iPhone to Verizon. The funny thing is, most of the people that switched to the iPhone when Verizon got it that I know, have already switched back to an Android powered device. Not sure if it is the phone or the limited functionality of the phone on the network though.

I don't know. It seemed like there was a lot of complaining in that article. lol
VP - Software

Postby kanaloa » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:27 am

jbullard wrote:The funny thing is, most of the people that switched to the iPhone when Verizon got it that I know, have already switched back to an Android powered device.

Wait, how's that even possible? Verizon doesn't get the iPhone until February 10th. Even I, as a Verizon customer, can't switch until like the 3rd or 5th on a special promotion. :question
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby jbullard » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:30 am

Good question. I'll have to ask them how they got it. That never even cross my mind. :lol:
VP - Software

Postby kanaloa » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:33 am

LOL, I'd love to know myself.

The thing that got me was the clear conflict of interest between Google and Apple in this entire thing. I'm surprised that whole situation didn't come up sooner than it did.
President

Postby jbullard » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:39 am

Yea. I know I had read there was some tension between them before but after a week it kind of went away.

So, they actually didn't have the iPhone. They were comparing them and when they said they were going to switch back...they really meant they were cancelling their order for the iPhone and keeping their droid. However, one buddy does work for Verizon which is how he got it. :yesnod:
VP - Software

Postby mnemonicj » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:29 pm

kanaloa wrote:Interesting article. I guess I never considered that Google really had copied Apple when it came to the iPhone, but when you look at the models, it's pretty obvious they did just that. :whistle

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11 ... e_ceo.html

I am not sure if copying is the right way to say it. How many different ways can you make a full touch screen device. Apple did not have the first capacitive touch screen phone, LG was, but they did make it popular and desired. Once smart phone customers demanded capacitive touch screens, manufacturers like HTC, Samsung, Motorola started putting them on their phones. The capacitive touch screens were more accurate and allowed users to type quickly on the screen. The phone manufacturers were able to remove the keypads they had on the phones previously because the screens were accurate enough that they no longer needed a physical keyboard. Hence, this is why the smart phones of today look like they do.

Last year, Apple introduced something to the market that most people had never seen on a phone before, a front facing camera. Now, again because of consumer demand, everyone wants one. Little do most people know, Nokia introduced the N95 back in 2007 and it had a front facing camera, back when Apple couldn't even do 3G.

Apple does not innovate. Apple likes to stick with proven technology and put it into a shinny package introduced by a charismatic dictator. Apple was not the first to do a capacitive touch screen phone, that goes to the LG Prada. Apple was not the first to do a front facing camera, WiFi, 3G, GPS, accelerometer, etc. The iPhone 5 is supposed to have a NFC (Near Field Communications) device, but it was already introduced in the Nexus S back in December. Don't worry though, I am sure Steve Jobs will make a big deal out of it being on the iPhone.
PRO Level 15

Postby gries818 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:59 pm

mnemonicj wrote:I am not sure if copying is the right way to say it. How many different ways can you make a full touch screen device. Apple did not have the first capacitive touch screen phone, LG was, but they did make it popular and desired. Once smart phone customers demanded capacitive touch screens, manufacturers like HTC, Samsung, Motorola started putting them on their phones. The capacitive touch screens were more accurate and allowed users to type quickly on the screen. The phone manufacturers were able to remove the keypads they had on the phones previously because the screens were accurate enough that they no longer needed a physical keyboard. Hence, this is why the smart phones of today look like they do.

Last year, Apple introduced something to the market that most people had never seen on a phone before, a front facing camera. Now, again because of consumer demand, everyone wants one. Little do most people know, Nokia introduced the N95 back in 2007 and it had a front facing camera, back when Apple couldn't even do 3G.

Apple does not innovate. Apple likes to stick with proven technology and put it into a shinny package introduced by a charismatic dictator. Apple was not the first to do a capacitive touch screen phone, that goes to the LG Prada. Apple was not the first to do a front facing camera, WiFi, 3G, GPS, accelerometer, etc. The iPhone 5 is supposed to have a NFC (Near Field Communications) device, but it was already introduced in the Nexus S back in December. Don't worry though, I am sure Steve Jobs will make a big deal out of it being on the iPhone.

I'm not sure you are entirely right. Of course you are right that capacitive screens existed before the iPhone, and likely tons of other advanced technologies Apple has made popular existed BEFORE Apple decided to use them.

But merely saying a single technology has existed before doesn't mean its use isn't innovative. In other words, most Apple products are more than the sum of their parts. Apple has become popular again by building reliable devices, intuitive interfaces, and by striking the right blend between new technology and old technology.

Take the iPod for instance. Apple didn't invent the mp3 player (the concept has been around since the 80s, though only practical in the later 90s, early 00s). Apple didn't invent the desktop music player (iTunes, Windows Media Player, etc). But they combined ideas from others in a way that hadn't been done before in iPod+iTunes and innovated a little bit on their own. They built a revolutionary music store which has legitimized online music downloads and changed the way we buy music. They added the click wheel and made a simple user interface (supposedly on the traditional iPods, you can get anywhere in just four clicks).

The same is true for the iPhone. They didn't invent the phone, the smart phone, apps, capacitive screens, etc, but they did bring it together in a package the fits the Apple persona: it's easy and fun to use. And they innovated too... everybody could do apps, but they weren't popular or useful because you had to Google and Google to find apps for Windows Mobile or Palm. Centralize into a store, filter apps to remove spam and viruses, and offer one click installation (and purchasing for paid apps), and you've got an innovation.

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Ubuntu Server 11.04 - Server
Software Development

Postby kanaloa » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:12 am

It's hard to ignore Apple's recent success. I just blogged on that this morning.

JCDerrick wrote:According to Apple's last quarterly report, the company has amassed revenue of $26.4 billion, which is a record-breaking 71% increase from last year’s report from this same time.How on earth can anyone ignore that statistic?
President

Postby gries818 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:50 am

kanaloa wrote:It's hard to ignore Apple's recent success. I just blogged on that this morning.

JCDerrick wrote:According to Apple's last quarterly report, the company has amassed revenue of $26.4 billion, which is a record-breaking 71% increase from last year’s report from this same time.How on earth can anyone ignore that statistic?

Cool design on that site John! ^*^

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Ubuntu Server 11.04 - Server
Software Development

Next

Return to Other Operating Systems