A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

vista doesn't boot after reformating the drive

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

vista doesn't boot after reformating the drive

Postby doodler » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:02 pm

Using Dualboot pro, I had installed XP on a partition with Vista as the main operating system, on a HP Compact Pressario PC. I had problems will trying to refresh XP and decided to clean the drive, I saved everything, reformatted the all thing and vista did clean the drive and got installed but after rebooting the NTLDR missing appeared, I even changed the drive and I"ve the same problem. The fist recovery disk works and the progression bar shows at the bottom of the screen but instead of asking for the second disk it takes me to the recovery window and that the end posting.php?mode=edit&f=185&p=809611#of it. How can I fix that? The problem is not on the drive. Is anyone familiar with this issue? :-x
Last edited by doodler on Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PRO New Member

Re: vista doesn't boot after reformating the drive

Postby yeshuas » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:12 pm

You aren't able to get into any OS, either XP or Vista

Which steps did you go through and which OS did you delete exactly
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby doodler » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:01 pm

I just used the recovery disks, a set of 3. I used the recovery panel, it reformatted the drive and re-installed Vista. The problem was with the reboot, the splash screen came back on, and all the hardware works, (even with a new drive) but Windows can't boot, the NTLR is missing, press this and that to restart came on, and still does. As previously described, the first recovery disk works and I can see the progress bar at the bottom of the screen but it doesn't prompt for the second disk it goes to the recovery panel and nothing happens there, I'm just told to contact HP. I'm thinking of trying to put the 3 recovery disks on a double layer DVD, but it as only 8,5 GB capacity and I need 8.7. If it starts I could try reinstalling the program and then take it out?
PRO New Member

Postby shreader » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:43 pm

I restored a Lenovo Laptop using the button above the keyboard to start the PC & choosing to restore to the factory installation.
Can you run the restore using the one on the Hdd instead of the recovery disks you created?
Software Director

Postby doodler » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:51 pm

I don't have an original disk, if you want a backup your allowed one copy and that's it. At first I tough that Vista didn't clean the all drive and I put a new drive In it, It took the first recovery disk with no problem, the progress bar showing at the bottom of the screen, but that's it, it took me to the recovery panel and told me to contact HP. I reconnected the old drive, same thing. All the hardware works but windows can't booth up.
PRO New Member

Postby doodler » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:44 pm

The problem is that HP Compac as 8.7 GB on recovery disk and no SAFE MODE, the recovery doesn't work in my case and Safe mode could allow me to re-install your VISTABOOT pro, and take it out the proper way :-? :-? , but as it is I can't see the end of it. Why 8.7 GB of useless data. It think safe mode should be on the recovery panel; don't you? :whistle
PRO New Member

Postby JabbaPapa » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:30 pm

This is an occasional problem when attempting to reinstall Vista using a factory restore option, in cases where the original boot environment has been modified using bcdedit, as used by VistaBootPRO. This is not a problem with the software, but with the factory settings - particularly in machines that may have hidden partitions.

Basically, the factory restore option just assumes (sometimes erroneously) that the factory boot environment still exists, whereas Windows setup itself does not, nor does the boot environment installed, thereby creating a discrepancy in the database.

I would suggest the following --

1) reinstall XP, simply to restore bootability.

2) borrow some Vista installation DVD from somebody or somewhere -- your manufacturer's failure to provide Vista installation media not supporting XP retro-compatibility is a contractual violation on their part, so that any reasonable efforts on your part to obtain alternative installation media can be morally justified (although you must use the Windows license purchased at the same time as the machine, or purchase a replacement license). Obtain the correct installation media, and install using the correct product key you have purchased, which is located on the sticker affixed to your machine by your OEM. You can borrow any Vista installation DVD -- unlike XP and W7, original Vista DVDs are not restricted to install only the Windows version described on the surface and packaging of the DVD.

(you can launch Vista setup from inside XP using a DVD of the 32-bit version -- boot into XP, insert your Vista DVD, launch setup, and choose the clean install option -- if you can manage to get the machine to boot to XP. In that case, it might be desirable to analyse the hard drive partitioning to check for potential issues prior to reinstalling Vista)

3) You can skip part 1) if you like, or if you have too many problems with XP :) Just clean install using clean installation media and your product key -- if you can obtain such media (a DVD), this is by far the cleanest solution

4) If you have a hidden partition, it may be necessary to use a bootable CD or DVD to delete it, *provided* you were absolutely certain that your installation media were clean and functional. This problem is only likely to occur if trying to install from a clean Vista DVD were to fail, however given your current isues this is a distinct possibility.

---

The alternative using VistaBootPRO is a little complex and delicate -- this would be an advanced functionality of the software.

Unfortunately, it would first require getting your system bootable again, which is precisely what you need in the first place !! :question

If you absolutely require some sort of IT perfectionist solution, we can certainly help -- but it's hardly recommended !! :lol:
PRO VETERAN

Postby doodler » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:56 pm

Thanks, Vista is install in it. I can't re-install anything else. I've tried a other version of Vista, that's only around 800MB, but it didn't boot and XP didn't come on either. The hardware would probably not work if XP goes on first; even if I installed a new version of Vista I would have to pipe in all the hardware's drivers. I gave it to a shop, they say they can fix it,I hope so. Not having a safe mode is a major impairment, it should be called a malfunction, HP should recall those computers, at least issue an upgrade of some kind. Maybe your "not recommended version maybe needed after all."
PRO New Member

Postby JabbaPapa » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:01 am

OK, take it to shop works too :)
PRO VETERAN

Return to PRO Software