A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Dual Boot XP32 & Vista64. Change To Win7

Re: Dual Boot XP32 & Vista64. Change To Win7

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:28 am

If you use DualBootPRO after booting into safe mode and then try to delete those files you will not be able to. The only other thing that will prevent you from deleting them is that the files/folder are currently "owned" by the system. The purpose of going to the Security page of Properties is to change ownership to Admin and to change control of them to Admin. This will then allow you to delete those items.

Have you found the tabs/pages for Security now? From the screenshots you posted of the file properties it does NOT look like you are getting to safe mode...you should not have that bright blue border at the top of the windows. It should look like this:

When the system starts, and you just get past the post screens, are you pressing F8 repeatedly to boot into safe mode?

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:01 am

If you can't achieve deleting those items just ignore them and install Windows 7. You will be able to format the old Vista partition from the install CD of Windows 7 when you select Custom install after the Install now setup screen. Just make sure you select the correct partition...naming the partition is a good idea so you can easily identify it (the Windows XP diskpart tool and the Windows 7 diskpart tool work a bit differently, so this is why I tell you this).

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:44 am

gsuburban wrote:Sorry, I had sent screen prints while booted on XP (only way that software would screen print). Your later instructions corrected my issue and I was able to delete the boot folder and bootmgr file. Vista is now gone and 2nd partition was quick formatted.

However, the boot.ini file in XP still shows the following BCD information:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
;
;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
;
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

There's no XP booting issues although I don't understand why the original boot.ini wasn't restored to be without the BDCedit notification. I'll install Win7x64 next. Thanks

That "BCDedit notification" really does not make any difference to the working of the boot.ini - you can remove it if you want, by editing it using DualBootPRO and selecting Legacy Editor from the Tools menu item and then saving the text document. However, once you install Windows 7 that notification will again be entered to the boot.ini so I really wouldn't bother.

PROfessional Member

Postby gsuburban » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:26 am

Okay...thanks. We're all good now. I didn't know the BDC info could be in the boot.ini and still be able to boot XP. I'll guess as long and the typical data is there disk=0 part=0 etc etc it works fine. Yes, I had found the security tabs while in XP safemode. The screenshots I made had to be made while booted on XP so my software could make the jpg's.

Again thanks.
PRO New Member

Previous

Return to General Windows Support