A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Building a Home Server

Building a Home Server

Postby tWeaKmoD » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:53 am

Hey everyone. Long time no post.

I am looking to build a home server primarily for data backup (files, pictures, music). I will probably stream music to various computers around the house. Might try some streaming video to the tivo or xbox, but not sure yet.

I have Windows Home Server already but I don't have any hardware. Was wondering if anyone has built one lately or has any ideas on hardware to buy. I don't need a monitor or keyboard or anything like that, just the computer.

I am thinking about 2 1tb hard drives mirroring each other. Don't need a video card or soundcard - can be on on board. But would like low power hard drives and PSU.

I have typically build AMDs, but typically they ran hotter so I figured they use more power but I don't know.

Thoughts?
PROfessional Member

Re: Building a Home Server

Postby shreader » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:40 am

Hi Paul,

Sorry it took me so long to post this.

The WHS Vail rig I have been using works great, definitely waaaay better than the recycled Dell P3 I used before.

WHS Vail Rig specs:
ASUS: P5G41-M LX2 MB
Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93 GHz
2 x 2GB DDR2 Memory
1.5TB WD Hdd
1.5TB WD Hdd (Storage)
DVD ROM/ CD-RW
Software Director

Postby gries818 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:23 am

tWeaKmoD wrote:Hey everyone. Long time no post.

I am looking to build a home server primarily for data backup (files, pictures, music). I will probably stream music to various computers around the house. Might try some streaming video to the tivo or xbox, but not sure yet.

I have Windows Home Server already but I don't have any hardware. Was wondering if anyone has built one lately or has any ideas on hardware to buy. I don't need a monitor or keyboard or anything like that, just the computer.

I am thinking about 2 1tb hard drives mirroring each other. Don't need a video card or soundcard - can be on on board. But would like low power hard drives and PSU.

I have typically build AMDs, but typically they ran hotter so I figured they use more power but I don't know.

Thoughts?

My experience with building servers has been taking old PCs and installing Linux on them, I've never used a Windows Server before (aside from using IIS 6 on XP)... sorry :lol:

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Ubuntu Server 11.04 - Server
Software Development

Postby mnemonicj » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:07 pm

I started with a simple file server back in 2004. It was a 5 year old used PC that a friend ditched when he got a new computer. It ran Windows 2000 and offered nothing but shared folders from two 80 GB hard drives in a RAID 1. If you are looking for a good home file server, sometimes a used PC is a great place to start. If you have the money Windows Home Servers are a decent way to share files at home.
PRO Level 15

Postby tWeaKmoD » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:20 pm

I have an "old" P4 PC but it does not have SATA which I was thinking would be a good idea to have, plus you can't hardly buy any else but that it seems like.

As far as Windows Home Server, I already own it, just have't used it yet.
PROfessional Member

Postby gries818 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:35 pm

tWeaKmoD wrote:I have an "old" P4 PC but it does not have SATA which I was thinking would be a good idea to have, plus you can't hardly buy any else but that it seems like.

As far as Windows Home Server, I already own it, just have't used it yet.

Newegg has some older style drive (I can't remember what that connection is called ATM). I purchased a 500 GB hard drive for the home server I use now - use it mostly for backups.

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Ubuntu Server 11.04 - Server
Software Development

Postby shreader » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:50 pm

The MicroCenter by me sells the old EIDE drives,
here is a link, one can order it (online, sometimes) & pick-it-up at the local store if one chooses.

MicroCenter
Software Director

Postby c0ldfyr3 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:40 pm

i build servers on a regular basis. though i haven't ever use windows home server, i have used 2008EE, and 2003EE, mostly linux Gentoo, Ubuntu server, Debian sarge, or multiples in VM's. my personal is for a dedicated WoW + vent, granted it might get changed since i dont play WoW 100% anymore, It runs DamnSmall Linux. i have been saving all my configurations on newegg since thats where i buy my parts.

here is my home server
here is a low-end server (older server some things need updating, but you still get a general idea)
here is a high-end server
i would say the lower end server would be ideal with perhaps a couple 2TB drives, and by all means yes RAID 1.
PRO Level 15

Postby tWeaKmoD » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:48 pm

So do you all put your server OS on the same drives where you store your files? Or, should I take one hdd to install WHS and then the other two drives be the date mirroring each other?

Another thing I thought about was I could get SATA drives and just get the IDE converters so that way I don't hold myself back from any future upgrades.
PROfessional Member

Postby c0ldfyr3 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:34 pm

i prefer the use of a raid 0/1 of two high velocity drives for OS, and separate RAID 1/5 drives for storage/backup.
so if something does happen to the OS ( Microsoft updates have killed my OS in the past, due to hardware incompatibilities. ) and you have to Format and reinstall of even reclone you dont have to worry about your data getting lost in the process.
PRO Level 15

Next

Return to Hardware and Customizing