A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

XP and Windows 7 Already Installed

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Re: XP and Windows 7 Already Installed

Postby charlesn56 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:38 pm

Graham:

Before I do this again. Can I install DualBoot Pro on the Windows 7 partition ? Would this allow me to disengage the Windows Boot Manager and get back to the XP boot. Or is there anyway to do this when you change your mind, or have problems at this stage of the dual boot ?

Charles
PRO Level 2

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:43 am

What happens with the dual boot is that you get a boot menu from which you can choose which operating system to boot to when the computer starts up. You will be able to very easily remove Windows 7 and any time if you so choose and you can remove Windows XP with a little more effort if that is your preference at some point.

You can also keep both the operating systems and remove the ability to boot into one of them at any time, although why exactly one would do that puzzles me. One can also, change the default boot OS at any time. Yes, you can install DualBootPRO in Windows 7.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby charlesn56 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:33 pm

Graham:

I can always restore the MBR to my drive (from a drive image) when the Windows Boot Manager stalls at only one OS option at startup (Win 7 as in my case). I was just trying to find out if there was a way to get back to a failed OS boot option (XP as in my case) in less number of steps.

As always, thanks for your continued help, :yesnod:
Charles
PRO Level 2

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:28 pm

Sure thing Charles, just let us know when you need more help.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby charlesn56 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:49 pm

Thank You......Thank You.... Got it to work. The learning curve had a little more bend in it, than I would like it to have had, but it works now.

Thanks again, :notworthy

Charles
PRO Level 2

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:01 pm

Well done Charles and thanks for letting us know.

PROfessional Member

Previous

Return to Windows Boot Problems