A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Upgrading Mac OS X to the latest version? Easy or not?

Upgrading Mac OS X to the latest version? Easy or not?

Postby kanaloa » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:51 pm

Was just reading about the new Apple OS due out this summer. How easy (or not) will it be to upgrade from OS X Snow Leopard to Lion? I think Apple calls this a "reference release" instead of an update. Makes sense, since a upgrade or reference releases are bigger items.

Also, I'm not sure (even after reading on Wiki) why Apple continues to release OS X flavors (starting in '02 I think) instead of just calling it OS XI or whatever. I guess because the core of the OS doesn't change?

Reading this, it sounds a little more complicated than I'd like it to be. Maybe I should just stick with Snow Leopard?
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Re: Upgrading Mac OS X to the latest version? Easy or not?

Postby gries818 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:06 am

kanaloa wrote:Was just reading about the new Apple OS due out this summer. How easy (or not) will it be to upgrade from OS X Snow Leopard to Lion? I think Apple calls this a "reference release" instead of an update. Makes sense, since a upgrade or reference releases are bigger items.

Also, I'm not sure (even after reading on Wiki) why Apple continues to release OS X flavors (starting in '02 I think) instead of just calling it OS XI or whatever. I guess because the core of the OS doesn't change?

Reading this, it sounds a little more complicated than I'd like it to be. Maybe I should just stick with Snow Leopard?

That article is way overkill. I upgraded my Mac and my mother's Mac from Leopard to Snow Leopard. Done in 25 minutes, no complications. I even upgraded my grandmother's Mac directly from Tiger, the supposed difficult move, like it was nothing... took like ten minutes longer though, but that might just be because the machine is older.

I'm planning to upgrade and I don't anticipate problems.

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Ubuntu Server 11.04 - Server
Software Development

Postby kanaloa » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:11 am

Cool, so you do recommend the upgrade then and not the clean install? I really would prefer just to upgrade. :yesnod:
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby gries818 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:15 am

kanaloa wrote:Cool, so you do recommend the upgrade then and not the clean install? I really would prefer just to upgrade. :yesnod:

I've flirted with the idea of doing a clean install, just for purity's sake, but I'm pretty sure I'll just do an upgrade. It worked so well with Snow Leopard... it feels like this is the OS that came on my computer.

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Software Development

Postby kanaloa » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:17 am

Sounds like a plan, I feel better about this now. How do you actually GET the upgrade? Can you download it? If DVD installation is the only option, I'll have to use my desktop's DVD drive to do the installation, which seems risky... Macbook Air doesn't have a ROM drive. Just wondering how I'll do that.
President

Postby gries818 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:23 am

kanaloa wrote:Sounds like a plan, I feel better about this now. How do you actually GET the upgrade? Can you download it? If DVD installation is the only option, I'll have to use my desktop's DVD drive to do the installation, which seems risky... Macbook Air doesn't have a ROM drive. Just wondering how I'll do that.

I don't know, they might do it differently for Lion, but they actually sent out disks for Snow Leopard. I wouldn't be surprised to see them offer a download route this time.

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Software Development

Return to Other Operating Systems