A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

XP and Windows 7 Already Installed

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

XP and Windows 7 Already Installed

Postby charlesn56 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:33 pm

I have XP SP3 and Windows 7 already installed on my drive and am dual booting with Boot Master, using Hard Disk Manager Pro. I would like to configure my dual boot process with Dual Boot Pro. How is the best way to do this without a reinstall ?

Thanks,
Charles
PRO Level 2

Re: XP and Windows 7 Already Installed

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:53 pm

Which operating system did you install first Charles?

Also, please post a screenshot of your disk management and the text contents of the XP boot.ini so that we can see what your current configuration is.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby charlesn56 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:21 pm

I used the automation of Hard Disk Manager Pro to set up my dual boot. My first OS installed was XP.

Boot.ini-

[boot loader]
timeout =30
default = multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS = "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /usepmtimer

What do you need a screen shot of?
PRO Level 2

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:50 am

charlesn56 wrote:What do you need a screen shot of?

Your entire Disk Management - go to Computer>Manage>Disk Management and then take a screenshot (press Alt+Print Screen), paste into Paint and then save as a name you'll recognize in .jpg or .png format. You can upload the image via say imageshack.us and then post the forum thumbnail here OR you can upload using the Upload attachment button at the bottom of the page when you reply here and "place inline".

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby charlesn56 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:45 pm

Thank you, that is what I thought you wanted.

Disk Magement.jpg
Disk Magement.jpg (117.63 KiB) Viewed 4304 times
PRO Level 2

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:49 am

Boot into Windows XP and make sure that you have the folder Boot and the file bootmgr on the the root of the XP drive/partition - the one tagged (System) as per disk management. If they are not there, copy them from the Windows 7 installation and paste them there.

Next, go to operating systems page of DualBootPRO and check what operating systems are listed there. If it is only XP then add an entry for Windows 7 and allocate the drive letter for it that you see in disk management.

From there go to the System Bootloader page of DualBootPRO and select Windows7 and All Drives and then press Install bootloader.

Reboot and check that your Windows 7 menu item works then post back here what the results were and we'll take it from there.

PROfessional Member

Postby charlesn56 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:10 pm

Grav!ty wrote:Next, go to operating systems page of DualBootPRO and check what operating systems are listed there. If it is only XP then add an entry for Windows 7 and allocate the drive letter for it that you see in disk management.

As you can see. I copied the two files that I needed from Windows 7 drive (D:) to my XP OS Drive (C:). Windows 7 is the only OS that shows up there. I did not go any farther.

Charles
OS Page.png
OS Page.png (32.15 KiB) Viewed 4260 times
PRO Level 2

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:27 pm

That Windows 7 shows up there means nothing. Once you've run Windows7>All Drives and then press Install bootloader on the System bootloader page, nothing should show there. Just carry on with the step I gave you initially.

Oh and by the way you need to delete those two Windows 7 boot system files I mentioned before you install 64-bit W 7 - I don't know why you copied them there.

PROfessional Member

Postby charlesn56 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:12 pm

Working on another software problem. When I get it fixed I will get back to this forum. I think that I misunderstood you. I already have XP and Windows 7 loaded and running. I also have Boot Master loaded, (I since have removed it). The two files that you wanted me to place on the root directory of XP. Where should I have found them?
PRO Level 2

Postby charlesn56 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:22 pm

I think that I can now work to get this running. Please walk me through what files I need to place on the root of XP, and where I can find them. I boot XP now without Boot Master loaded.

Grav!ty wrote:Boot into Windows XP and make sure that you have the folder Boot and the file bootmgr on the the root of the XP drive/partition - the one tagged (System) as per disk management. If they are not there, copy them from the Windows 7 installation and paste them there.

OK, copied them from the Windows 7 installation and paste them there.

Grav!ty wrote:Oh and by the way you need to delete those two Windows 7 boot system files I mentioned before you install 64-bit W 7 - I don't know why you copied them there.

While booted in XP it will not let me delete them. Tells me that they are being used by another program?

It does not bring up any boot manager. Boots right to Windows 7.

Thanks for your continued help,
PRO Level 2

Next

Return to Windows Boot Problems