A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Install Windows XP in Dual Boot with Pre-Installed Windows 7

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Re: Install Windows XP in Dual Boot with Pre-Installed Windows 7

Postby Grav!ty » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:37 pm

Go to Device Manager (right click Computer>Manage and then look for Device Manager on the left hand side) and see what SATA/IDE controller you have on your system. From there you should be able find the correct SATA drivers for that SATA/IDE controller.

You can also check out the specifications of your system to see what SATA/IDE controller you have.

Once you know, and have downloaded the drivers you need, google for nLite and slipstream the SATA drivers into your XP CD or you can try using the floppy again I suppose...the drivers must be unpacked to the root of the floppy by the way and not within any executable or folder.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Bramlett85 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:56 pm

It's an Intel 5 series 4 port SATA AHCI Controller.
I downloaded it from Intel's website and I'm trying to slipstream it now using nLite.

Let's hope it works for me because I have been :bashhead all morning!!
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:12 pm

Really you shouldn't need SATA drivers for that controller. What version of XP do you have...SP1, SP2 or SP3?

If you don't have SP3, do yourself a favor and slipstream SP3 into your CD using nLite and then try again. nLite should have some pretty good directions/guides for both the SATA drivers and SP3.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Bramlett85 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:14 pm

I have a Dell SP3 CD.
It just shows the no device available screen.
Is there something I'm missing?

*EDIT* - I went to nLite's forum and BAM, there is a sticky thread for adding my specific controller.
I'm slipstreaming the file now.
We shall see shortly!
PRO New Member

Postby Bramlett85 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:43 pm

I got XP pro installed but now it just boots straight into XP.
It doesn't give me the option.
I need to go back through this thread again and find where to fix this issue.

Thanks for the help guys!
PRO New Member

Postby jayjdv » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:12 am

I think the easiest way would be to pre install xp first then install win 7 on another drive. This will give you no probs and option to boot either from xp or win 7...:)
PRO New Member

Previous

Return to Windows Boot Problems