A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Security software

Security software

Postby mooseantlers » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:56 pm

I've got 7 days until my license expires on my ESET Smart Security package.

Any thoughts or comments on a change or just renew hte license?

Thanks!
PRO Level 4

Re: Security software

Postby kanaloa » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:13 pm

What OS are you running? Windows 7?

If you haven't had any problems and it has protected your PC, I always go by the mantra, "If it's not broke don't fix it." There are some freebie alternatives out there, but sometimes you get what you pay for. :yesnod:
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:33 pm

NOD32 sure is the best anti-virus out there in my opinion and at least I would renew that license. I don't know anything about the rest of the ESET Security Suite, which I presume is a firewall and anti-spyware/malware software.

As far as freebie alternatives go, I'm very happy with Avast Anti-Virus and the ZoneAlarm firewall and have yet to encounter either letting a virus or intruder through. I started using Avast because at one stage it was the only anti-virus that worked on Longhorn/Vista so I've been using it for a good 5 or 6 years on at least one of my Windows installations.

If you want to do some good research into what anti-virus software to use, check out the Comparitaves page at AV-Comparatives: http://www.av-comparatives.org/

Also, PC World does periodic reviews: http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/collecti ... _2010.html

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby yeshuas » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:54 pm

I've been using Avast for close to 10 years, and am really happy with it
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby mooseantlers » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:00 pm

Thanks for all the info. I'm running XP, have had no issues with with Smart Security 4 during the previous year & decided to go ahead and renew for another year.

I guess the only 'issue' I have with it was that I sprung for this renewal over a day ago, it kept telling me that my license was about to expire (etc). About 5 minutes ago, it updated the expiration date. (Did check the web site & it does say 'allow up to . . . ' so i'll shut up.

Thanks again.

'Moose'
PRO Level 4

Return to Security & Virus