A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

windows 7 added xp pro image can not boot to xp

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

windows 7 added xp pro image can not boot to xp

Postby johnwmeigs » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:23 am

HI
I bought a new computer and wanted to install an image of xp pro and programs to my harddisk. I partitioned it and installed the image and would like to boot to it.
I had DBP installed on my old computer that tripled booted vista 32,xp pro, and then windows 7. I took the image of xp pro and installed it on my new computer and installed DBP on it. But it will not boot. I copied the 3 files recommended to the system partition, recovery on mine drive y, ran System Bootloader selected windows 7 and all drives. When I selected xp pro on bootup I got and error message, ntldr may be corrupted. Install new ntldr from orginal disk did not help.
Any Suggestions?
computer management screen.png
computer management screen.png (156.83 KiB) Viewed 4416 times

boot_ini screen.png
boot_ini screen.png (104.1 KiB) Viewed 4418 times
PRO New Member

Re: windows 7 added xp pro image can not boot to xp

Postby shreader » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:59 pm

How did you or what did you use to install the XP image?
Software Director

Postby johnwmeigs » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:33 pm

I use Ez Gig II on a window7 32 bit and the new computer has windows 7pro 64 bit, which will not run EZ Gig II, so customer service suggusted Acronis True Image.
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:30 pm

The boot system files for XP (ntldr, boot.ini and NTDETECT.COM) need to be on the partition tagged (System) as per disk management - that appears to be your Y drive per your screen shot. You can just copy and paste them to there.

Also, it looks like your boot.ini needs to read partition(3) in both instances/on both lines that is called for. That should get you dual booting.

You may then have to add a legacy operating to your boot menu for XP using DualBootPRO if you don't already have an entry for it and allocate the drive letter you see for it from Windows 7, being drive D:

You can use the menu item Tools>Legacy Editor in DualBootPRO to edit your boot.ini - remember to save your changes after editing...File>Save.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby johnwmeigs » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:23 am

My Boot.ini now has partition (3) on both lines, in drive Y. Still no Boot.
dualboot.PNG
dualboot.PNG (88.38 KiB) Viewed 4387 times

I have a Legacy operating system,XP PRO on drive G:, which shows in Win 7 and DualBootPro
The Tools/Legacy Editor in DBP would not edit my boot.ini, clicked on it ,it did not do anything.
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:44 am

Are the boot system files for both operating systems now in the partition tagged System? For XP they are boot.ini, ntldr and NTDETECT.COM and for and for Windows 7 they are bootmgr and the folder Boot. They must be in that partition for the system to boot and you must have a boot menu which you can modify from the Operating Systems page of DualBootPRO by adding a legacy operating system there.

The Legacy Editor looks for the boot.ini in the partition tagged system and until it is there it will not find it.

You have to have folder options set to show hidden files and folders and also not to hide protected operating system files before you will see those boot system files by the way.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby johnwmeigs » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:13 am

All the files are in the recovery(Y) drive which is the system drive.
recovery dir.PNG
recovery dir.PNG (158.31 KiB) Viewed 4362 times

I added the XP Pro thru the Operating System tab and it shows in the Boot Information tab. I have been editing the boot.ini with notepad.

I guess I am hesitant to use the System Bootloader tab since that got me into trouble before visiting the Forum. I had installed the image adding the xp operating system,added the xp on G: in the Operating System, went to system bootloader selected Windows Legacy and All drives. Rebooted to NOTHING. Tried a recover which loaded the system back to new, but then it still would not boot, had to find a window 7 disk, which did restore the boot. Then did a recover from my backup which had all the programs I had loaded.

Now I am taking it that happened because the 3 boot files for XP were not in the system directory yet. I am I right on that?

So I guess the question is should I now go to the system bootloader and select windows legacy and all drive and then reboot?
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:07 am

No, you have added XP to the Windows 7 boot configuration data store (BCD) so you need to select Windows 7 and All drives. New Windows operating systems bootloaders are always able to configure at the very least the previous version of Windows and as Vista and Windows 7 use the same bootloader XP can be added as can Windows 2000.

Are there copies of boot.ini, ntldr and NTDETECT.COM on the Windows XP drive? Not that they are required there but if so then boot.ini should be same as the one you have edited yours to.

Do the entries for Window 7 and Windows XP show up correctly on the Operating Systems tab with the one you have selected as the default OS in blue and with none in red? Red entries represent incorrectly configured entries. Black is good, as is blue.

Do both entries show up on the Boot Information page of DualBootPRO with the correct drive letter for each showing up?

PROfessional Member

Postby johnwmeigs » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:40 pm

The entries for Window 7 and Windows XP show up correctly in the Operating Systems tab with Win 7 Blue, XP Pro Black.

Yes, both are on the Boot Information Page and the drive letters are there xp G:, Win7 C: current

Itried putting the 3 files in the root of XP and got the following message

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
Please e-install a copy of the above file.
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:04 pm

That error message can mean that your boot.ini is incorrect. Try partition 2 and see what happens and then try partition 4 if 2 doesn't work. Actually looking at your rather unusual disk management configuration again try partition 4 first.

That error can also mean that your Windows XP installation is missing some files or corrupt. Do you have a XP installation disk?

PROfessional Member

Next

Return to Windows Boot Problems