A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Unwanted entry in multi-boot choices

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Unwanted entry in multi-boot choices

Postby toastedspider » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:42 pm

Hi everyone.

I have a machine with WinXP on one partition, and Win7 on another. At boot time however, I have 3 OS choices: "Earlier version of Windows", Win7, and Win7 (again).

I want to get rid of the last Win7 entry, as it's a leftover from an earlier install of Windows 7 that I have since deleted (I installed into a partition that was too small, and simply deleted the partition while booted into WinXP).

Trying to run BCDEDIT.EXE from Win7 doesn't seem to do much - it looks like the app launches and then goes away.

Many thanks for your help!
Jerry
PRO New Member

Re: Unwanted entry in multi-boot choices

Postby shreader » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:33 pm

I had that problem before & all I did was figure out which was the bad entry (in the boot menu) then delete it using DualBootPRO.
Software Director

Postby toastedspider » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:47 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, will take a look.

Slightly bothersome... I tried running BCDEDIT from a command shell (while booted in Win7, e.g. "bcdedit /v"), and keep getting

"The boot configuration data store could not be opened.
Access is denied."

Any insights for this?

Thanks!
PRO New Member

Postby shreader » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:53 pm

No, I use DualBootPRO as it is a lot easier & that way I don't mess anything up typing in (the wrong) code.
Software Director

Return to Windows Boot Problems