A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Windows 7 Hard Drive Performance Rating

Re: Windows 7 Hard Drive Performance Rating

Postby yeshuas » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:26 pm

Grav!ty wrote:
yeshuas wrote:
Grav!ty wrote:Did you set it up in the BIOS or via Disk Management in Windows?

First I selected Raid mode in the bios, and then during boot I hit Ctrl I which takes you to the Matrix setup where you choose which Raid you want, etc.

Then it is "hardware RAID". The Intel Raid matrix thingy threw me off totally because using that software it is possible to create a "software RAID" :oops:

You had me confused too :lol: I was beginning to doubt what I had done was correct, I am getting old you know :rofl:
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:46 am

My HDD's get about the same rating they got in Vista. This is a 37 GB five year old SATA 1 Western Digital Raptor:

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby ratz » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:04 pm

Hello. I have the same problem. Raid-0 setup with 2x seagate 250 GB sata II 7200.10 16 MB.
For comparison, I get a 5.9 rating in Vista x64 Ultimate SP2 !! :-? And in Windows 7 build 7000 I get
2.9 rating and u can really feel its slow when working on desktop. Everest hdd benchmark however shows a max 170 MB/ Linear Read 1 MB
and its very similar to vistas numbers but its much more unstable and larger fluctuations.

Id really like to know the solution to this problem cause I think its reponsible for killing my Windows 7 performance :-x
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:18 pm

ratz wrote:Hello. I have the same problem. Raid-0 setup with 2x seagate 250 GB sata II 7200.10 16 MB.
For comparison, I get a 5.9 rating in Vista x64 Ultimate SP2 !! :-? And in Windows 7 build 7000 I get
2.9 rating and u can really feel its slow when working on desktop. Everest hdd benchmark however shows a max 170 MB/ Linear Read 1 MB
and its very similar to vistas numbers but its much more unstable and larger fluctuations.

Id really like to know the solution to this problem cause I think its reponsible for killing my Windows 7 performance :-x

At this stage of the OS's development, it's likely to be a driver issue affecting you ratz. I guess/hope that will improve as we get closer to RTM and more driver and motherboard chipset manufacturers write new SATA/RAID drivers :eek:

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Troxy » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:54 pm

Yeah I am finding it weird too, all my old vista ultimate scores have gone up, especially my gfx 7.9 in desktop and 6.0 in 3d and gaming from a steady 5.9 accross the board in vista yet my old 200gb barracuda has dropped to 2.9 in windows 7, this is on a asus m2n sli deluxe board, might do what you have suggested though and take a peek at asus site and see if they have any drivers about for sata II

Edit: yeah i downloaded and installed the vista x64 nforce drivers and I now have at least a reasonable rating in windows 7 of 5.4 still due to the hard drive, but am a lot happier than the 2.9 i did get :)
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:22 am

Hey thanks for the feedback on that Troxy ^*^

PROfessional Member

Postby JabbaPapa » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:36 pm

Have 2.0 HDD performance rating on my laptop.
PRO VETERAN

Postby boatcomputer » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:31 pm

I'am not using raid and I am complaining with a 5.3 score.

WD 80 Gig Sata.

Everything else is in the 7.0 range
PRO New Member

Postby augie » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:25 am

boatcomputer wrote:I'am not using raid and I am complaining with a 5.3 score.

WD 80 Gig Sata.

Everything else is in the 7.0 range

Welcome aboard boatcomputer. Besides RAID, I think the only thing left is grabbing an SSD or at least a hybrid. My Intel 40GB X-25V clocks in at 7.2 At any rate, who cares what MS says about hardware in the end as it's only a rough guide.

If you were only getting a 2.0 WEI then I'd think about it., whatever floats yer boat man, but I prefer inexpensive things that are proven to work, like the 2TB WD Green drive I just bought for $80 for data storage. :shocked: Just for comparisons sake, my WD Caviar 160GB clocks in at 5.4 WEI

The SSD is nice but really unnecessary for me as I hardly ever reboot, machine is basically on 24/7. I wish I could get my money back for the SSD, not that it's a bad product at all, it's just that I don't need it. I do enjoy the 10 second boots though.;) :harley:
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby yeshuas » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:21 am

I was looking to get at least one of the WD 2 TB drive myself for my server storage, I would like to get 2 of them but with Christmas coming and all the grandkids, well you know LOL
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

PreviousNext

Return to General Windows Support