A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

customer service passing the buck

customer service passing the buck

Postby imintheloserssquare » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:16 pm

OOOK so i have some major problems here with my internet connection
I have a 500GB apple time capsule from august 2008 and a motorola SB6120 surfboard modem from feb. 2009
I had my cable company out and they tested the line and did some other stuff and said theres no reason i should keep getting disconnected.
I called motorola as well and the person on the phone said that there appeared to be nothing wrong with it after looking at the diagnostic information (had me type in that 192.168.100.1 and read off some numbers) says all the numbers were within normal range.
so heres whats been happening:
Modem:
disconnects often where all the lights go out and its slow to restart itself
the receive light hardly ever becomes solid blue anymore (indicates faster connection)
and all of the sudden the link light is orange instead of blue which means its no longer operating at 1000mbps between the modem and router.
and its always been blue ever since I bought it, wasnt until yesterday it started doing that.

Time capsule issues:
some files on my drive have become corrupt and unreadable/drive seems to be louder too.
wifi has trouble sometimes
when i set the ethernet port to 1000mbps it no longer finds the modem and says ethernet port is disconnected.

see im having trouble figuring out which one is at fault here because i read online that sometimes when the router is crapping out it can cause problems with the modem...
The Windows Machine:
2.2ghz AMD 64 X2 4200
4GB PC6400 ram
300GB raptor drive+160gb back up
ASUS M2N32-SLI Premium Vista Edition
creative soundblaster XFI music
Nvidia Geforce 8500GT PCIe 512mb
windows vista home premium 64-bit
-and-
2.6ghz macbook pro with snow leopard
PRO Level 7

Re: customer service passing the buck

Postby Grav!ty » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:51 pm

So it works fine at a lower transfer rate?

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby imintheloserssquare » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:01 am

not really things lag sometimes and if i unplug the modem and turn it back on it takes 3-4 times of connecting and disconnecting to get it to stay online and even then it will still lag and disconnect randomly

see if theres nothing wrong with my stuff why is it doing that and why doesn't it operate at the faster rate anymore..its not supposed to do that!
i just wanna know if i should buy a new router OR have motorola send me a replacement modem.
The Windows Machine:
2.2ghz AMD 64 X2 4200
4GB PC6400 ram
-and-
PRO Level 7

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:03 am

Are you able to by-pass the router and connect directly via the modem or must the router be in place?

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby imintheloserssquare » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:06 am

Sooo ive figured out some of the problems that defiantly lead to a faulty modem
which includes error strings on the modem that point to its lost its ability to bond to mutliple channels hence the reason the receive light is green instead of blue like it should be
and its lost its ability to connect to the router at 1000mbps and since setting the router to this speed no longer works im guessing thats also something wrong with it as well.

and as far as the time capsule goes i guess im the lucky one whos had theirs last beyond the 1 year mark with over 2 years of it running i guess it was about time the stupid thing failed.
o well im just gonna get this nice belkin N router that has 2 usb ports so i can hook up a drive to it and my printer..
now it comes to which drive to get the seagate 1TB drive or the western digital 1TB drive both are 89.99 at best buy.

while i still love apple and my macbook (wish i could get a new one) im hugely disappointed in the time capsules because i have heard nothing but bad news and they are such a good idea being an all in one kinda thing ya know!
The Windows Machine:
2.2ghz AMD 64 X2 4200
4GB PC6400 ram
-and-
PRO Level 7

Postby ar1stotle » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:45 pm

imintheloserssquare wrote:and they are such a good idea being an all in one kinda thing ya know!

Well, if there's one thing I've learned about being in this field, it's that "all in one" devices are only as strong as the weakest component. When one part dies, especially if both parts rely on the other to work properly, it loses most of its value... so I tend to stick with dedicated devices for everything. Though it'd be great if all in ones were indestructible ^*^
PRO BRONZE

Return to Hardware and Customizing