A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Unable to boot, would like to fix without reinstalling

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Unable to boot, would like to fix without reinstalling

Postby Cornflake » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:16 am

Hi all,

Today I turned on my computer and instead of booting to Windows 7, it says "No operating system installed". I booted from the Windows 7 CD, and using the command console I ran chkdsk on both my partitions; my data partition (c:) and my Windows 7 partition (d:) are fine. The automated startup repair sits at "attempting repairs..." for hours with the HDD light blinking, I don't know if it is doing a CHKDSK or what but it is taking too long to run...

Since the automated startup repair takes so friggin long, I decided to manually fix the bootloader (cause everything else seem to be fine) with this guide here: <snip- url removed by Gravity> However, under the section "Step Four: Nuclear Holocaust" I get stuck on one of the steps. On the part that says "bcdedit.exe /set {bootmgr} device partition=C:" I get an error saying it cannot find the store specified.

What now? What did I type in wrong?
PRO Level 15

Re: Unable to boot, would like to fix without reinstalling

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:34 am

Sorry, no one here is going to help you to use a guide compiled by the person who stole our code and is illegally distributing software based on our code. That individual is based alternately in Palestine and Jordan and we have been unable to take legal action as a result. I'm sure you will understand our views on this matter. Thanks.

I will help you shortly :)

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:07 am

What is your exact drive structure in terms of partitions and drives Cornflake? Which drive partition is tagged (System) as per Disk Management and where are your boot system files located? The boot system files are the file bootmgr and the folder Boot plus contents.

Is Windows 7 the only OS on that system?

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Cornflake » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:58 am

Sorry, had no idea about the guide i linked to.

Anyway, I have the first partition, C: as my data partition. It is a primary partition with no boot files or anything else. The second, D: is my windows 7 partition. It is the active boot drive, and it has bootmgr and the boot folder. Windows 7 is the only OS on my system right now.

PRO Level 15

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:58 am

Which partition is tagged (System) Adam?

PROfessional Member

Postby Cornflake » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:36 pm

The system drive, d:
PRO Level 15

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:48 pm

Boot to the command prompt of the Windows 7 DVD (same place as startup repair) and then run these commands in the order given:

Type Bootrec.exe, and then press ENTER.

Type bootrec /FixMbr and type Enter

Type bootrec /FixBoot and type Enter

Reboot and see if that has fixed your issue and if not then again boot to the command prompt of your Windows 7 DVD and run these commands again in the order given:

bcdedit /export D:\BCD_Backup
D:
cd boot
attrib bcd -s -h -r
ren D:\boot\bcd bcd.old
bootrec /RebuildBcd

If you get an error message about the drive letter then change the drive letter of these latter commands to C:

Let us know how it goes and we'll take it from there

PROfessional Member

Return to Windows Boot Problems