A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

I cannot get this to work - please help

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

I cannot get this to work - please help

Postby lizzielou » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:07 pm

Hello. I am hoping someone can help me as I have a very slow dial up system and it would take me all year to read through the forum.

I have just purchased DualBootPRO 1.1. I have a laptop which runs two different versions of Windows XP and wanted an easy way to change the boot priority without having to search for hidden files and make modifications to them. The sales page said that this was compatible with XP but when I run it on my computer I get several problems.

First of all I get a message saying that my bcd registry needs to be backed up and I am sent to a screen asking for a backup path. When I enter a file path I get the message 'DualBootPro was unable to save the file xxx.bcd to the specified location.... Would you like to open the error reporting screen? When I hit yes nothing happens.

When I go into file and scan the BCD registry I get a reply saying there are zero OS installed in my system - but there are two.
When I run the diagnostics I get a message saying that any suspect entries will show up in the Manage OS Entries screen and I am redirected there but nothing shows up.

I am beginning to think that this will not work with XP systems after all and is expecting to find Vista or Win7 present.

I am very new to this and so sorry if I am asking a very silly and obvious question but at the moment I am regretting my purchase as it does not seem to do what it says. I would have expected it to detect my two operating systems on startup. I would appreciate any help or advice to get this working or to get a refund if it will not work.
PRO New Member

Re: I cannot get this to work - please help

Postby yeshuas » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:19 pm

I believe you can ignore the message(s) concerning BCD and that is a Vista and Windows 7 file/folder.

Start Dual Boot Pro and run diagnostics and see if your entries for XP show up.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby lizzielou » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:48 pm

I have run the diagnostics and nothing shows up, the box is blank even though I have two XP systems running.
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:59 pm

Lizzilou, open DualBootPRO and go to the Tools>Legacy Editor menu item. You can change your boot.ini there by adding an entry for your second instance of XP. You then need to go to File>Save before exiting the text editor.

If you post your current boot.ini text here (just copy and paste here) and clearly indicate your drive and partition structure, we will help you with your second entry.

By the way it's best to boot to the copy of XP which is on the drive/partition tagged (System) as per Disk Management to do the editing.

Do you have more than one hard drive on that system or are both installations of XP on the same hard drive? How do you currently change your boot to a different copy of XP if they are on the same drive?

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby lizzielou » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:07 am

Thank you very much for your help. I have never liked to look at the hidden files on my system drive. I have run the legacy editor and looked on google to find out how to alter it and I can now boot the way I wanted.
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:10 pm

Well done Lizzielou and thanks for letting us know.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Return to PRO Software